Just wanted to say hi

pinky1352

Hello all,
I just stumbled across this site, and wanted to say that it looks like a wonderful, helpful place. We have have 2 Jack Russell puppies, a male, Jake, who is 13 weeks old, and a female, Jet, who is 9 weeks old. And before someone asks, no, I DO NOT plan on breeding them (nothing survives in or near my house with their reproductive organs intact...my husband is afraid...very afraid :msngiggle: ). I have 3 "fixed" cats of my own, Eddie, Rilla, and Bucky, and have rescued and spayed/neutured/rehomed at least 3 strays a year since living in this neighborhood...Our last dog was my beloved "Bullitt", a Pit Bull, who passed away at 13 1/2 years old. This time around I wanted a smaller dog, and somehow ended up with 2 :msngrin:

We've had Jake for about a month now, and Jet for 3 days. Jake is completely paper trained (took him all of a week to get that down with no accidents) and perfectly content in a crate. We're working on figuring out what Jet's "tell" is when she has to go, but have had quite a bit of luck so far. She's not as happy in the crate as Jake but we're also working on that.

I look forward to learning to to teach this very intelligent breed plenty of tricks to keep them occupied. Jake already knows sit, down, and we on working on consistency with stay & come, so far he'll only do those two for treats. I'm going to give Jet another day or so to settle in before working with her.

Ill be posting in another thread for the one issue I'm having with Jake.

Thanks for letting me introduce our family!

snooks

Experienced Member
Welcome to the site. Boy you are braver and more energetic than I am to have TWO puppies at once. :dogbiggrin: I'll be so interested to hear how things progress with two JR's. They are so smart and you def understand how energetic they are. This is a great place for you to find many things to occupy those always working puppy brains.

I hope you're going to post pictures soon!!! :dogtongue2:

Doing tricks for treats right now is part of puppy learning. They are just little mouths with feet right now. I started training my last two dogs with treats and it works so much better for me and is faster/easier. You fade the treats to seldom after they learn it but you can worry about that a little later. Check out the classroom, I think esp the beginning with your puppies will be very helpful. Then as they progress you can go further. It's very simple and clear with videos and you won't find that anywhere else that I am aware of.

I found this site on a recommendation from a friend on another forum that loved it and I got hooked. :dogcool:

pinky1352

It's not that I have that much energy, I just figured it might be easier to get all of the basic training done all at once with two dogs, rather than one at a time. I originally was only going to get one, but when Jake started trying to get Bucky (the cat) to play tug-of-war with his rope toy, I figured he needed a playmate :p

sorry..didn't think to post pics. Here are a few. They don't share a crate, theirs are side by side but left open during the day, so they like to "visit" in each others rooms.

ozjen

Aahh, I think I'm in love, they are so cute. Hi Pinky 1352 I'm sure you will find many great ideas for teaching your cute babies on this site. Have fun.

snooks

Experienced Member
Oh how ADORABLE. I want two too!!!! I see how you got snookered into that deal. Who could resist. :dogbiggrin::dogbiggrin: