Jumping

southerngirl

Honored Member
Since me and my family got Piper back in July we have been working on her jumping issue. She jumps on Everyone except for me. When I say jumping I mean all four of her feet off the ground, she's like a Kangaroo. With her size she hurts people because her nails hurt and cause cuts. I'm also scared of her her my nephews or niece ages 2-10. She is just so excited about the person and it doesn't have to be someone coming to the house, it's any person she see's. The only time she doesn't try and greet someone is when I am on a public trail walking her any other time she wants to greet them.
In the house when my parents come home or a guest comes over I grab her leash to get her away from the person and get a toy to play. I have to get her attention back to me several times because she will go back to the person trying to jump on them.
Another thing I do with my mom is I will block Piper from jumping on her to leave her alone.
Parents: The toy and blocking works to get her to stop, but she still jumps on them when they come home. She doesn't seem to be connecting that we don't want her jumping...
Guest: Nothing seems to work with guest. Holding her leash to keep her away from them. Playing with her. Putting her in her crate for a little bit. She stays Crazy the whole time the person is over. I find myself not being able to enjoy having guest over, it's just stressful for me.
There are only four people she has improved with. My best friend who works with her on the jumping. My other best friend who takes the time to let me get Piper to sit before she pets her. And my sister who ignores her until she calms down than she'll get her to sit to pet her. And my cousin who works with her on jumping. He will ignore her, or hold her collar and walk her around, or play with her.
What do I do about people who don't care to work with her, with people who want her to just leave her alone. Or people at the park who she pulls toward and whines wanting to be pet by them? She just has so much energy and loves people so much it's like her brain shuts off.
Please help

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sounds like she needs some help with impulse control. It's great that you have some friends and family who are willing to work on this with you, but she needs to be able to behave around everyone. Kikopup has a really good video on teaching "stay" as a part of sit or down. Susan Garrett refers to these as control positions, and you shouldn't have to use the word "stay" at all. They require a release word, such as "break" or "free" when they are allowed to move. "Stay" can be used when they are already in the position and you want them to stay there, but you didn't cue them first. Also, look for Susan Garrett's "Crate Games" dvds in your public library. They are great for teaching this kind of impulse control as well.

I have found that getting Brody in an aroused state really helps with teaching control positions. We play a good game of tug, so that he's really excited and pulling and growling. Then I ask for a quick release and sit. He has to wait for the "get it!" before the game starts again. Then I repeat, but maybe take a step or two away from him. If he breaks the sit, I take his collar and return him calmly to where he was, put him in the sit again, and take two steps. Keep repeating until he catches on. You can throw in "down" as well, or "sit, down, sit", move further away, dance around a bit, build up that control. Then "get it" and more rousing tugging. This has helped so much with his attention to me.

In the mean time, if you keep her on the leash and hold onto it, you can step on it to keep her from inappropriate behavior. Keep your clicker on hand and reward for even milliseconds with her bum on the floor.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks Brodys_mom. I will definitely look into impulse control and use the clicker when for when she sits.:) Off to see if my library has the video.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Its worth having a read of http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1721

Good luck - Ripley was similar when we took her on. Patience and time were essential. And training the humans in how to behave too! ;)
I like the theory of that article. I wish she had given some more examples of the concepts she addressed. A bit hard to put them into practice without a few good suggestions. I like the one about distress and eustress. I believe she is talking about what Susan Garrett calls "balance breaks": breaking up intense mental work with good games of tug or a quick run around.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Its worth having a read of http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1721

Good luck - Ripley was similar when we took her on. Patience and time were essential. And training the humans in how to behave too! ;)
I love the article!
I'm semi like the author I love Crazy dogs, but not because I'm a lazy trainer(I love a challenge), I just love the energy they are so much fun. Crazy dogs are just so happy they bring a smile to your face, at least for me. Piper is the perfect definition of "crazy". Oh and I love the description of the jumping(pogo jumping) it is perfect way to describe how Piper jumps.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I like the theory of that article. I wish she had given some more examples of the concepts she addressed. A bit hard to put them into practice without a few good suggestions. I like the one about distress and eustress. I believe she is talking about what Susan Garrett calls "balance breaks": breaking up intense mental work with good games of tug or a quick run around.
I do agree that she does not go into enough detail but I used it more as a uplifting article that I wasn't doing wrong in trying to not take the 'crazy' out of Ripley but trying to rein it in and use it positively. Quite a hard thing to do when some people are telling you that you are going about it the wrong way and have to expel those qualities out of her to make her into a 'good' dog!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I love the article!
I'm semi like the author I love Crazy dogs, but not because I'm a lazy trainer(I love a challenge), I just love the energy they are so much fun. Crazy dogs are just so happy they bring a smile to your face, at least for me. Piper is the perfect definition of "crazy". Oh and I love the description of the jumping(pogo jumping) it is perfect way to describe how Piper jumps.
I completely agree - crazy dogs are just mind blowing in their energy and lust for life! I love them too.:love:

I didn't put the article up because I thought it would solve the jumping I just found it uplifting when I was having issues with my 'crazy' dog and thought it might uplift you too...

Hope it did!:unsure:

southerngirl

Honored Member
I completely agree - crazy dogs are just mind blowing in their energy and lust for life! I love them too.:love:

I didn't put the article up because I thought it would solve the jumping I just found it uplifting when I was having issues with my 'crazy' dog and thought it might uplift you too...

Hope it did!:unsure:
I did find it uplifting and it's nice to hear about embracing the crazy and not trying to smother it.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I do agree that she does not go into enough detail but I used it more as a uplifting article that I wasn't doing wrong in trying to not take the 'crazy' out of Ripley but trying to rein it in and use it positively. Quite a hard thing to do when some people are telling you that you are going about it the wrong way and have to expel those qualities out of her to make her into a 'good' dog!
Yes, I know what you mean. I subscribe to a blog called "awesomedogs" that is very inspiring. It addresses all kinds of issues on dog behavior and psychology, and really gets me thinking. It challenges what many people believe about dogs and dog training. For myself, I need things to be spelled out a bit more, a visual example, not just theoretical, to really grasp some of the concepts. Then I can ask myself, do I do this? or , is this true for my dog?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Just remembered another thread referring to jumping:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/forum/threads/my-dog-attacks-with-love.4355/
Might have ideas that could maybe help.
Kikopups vid is good too:
Search Kikopup on youtube and then - How to stop your puppy jumping up!
Thank you for the thread. The dog on the thread is just like Piper, who also greets the people before she does the dogs, but she's good about not jumping on them. Thank you everyone for the help and advice. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to say she doesn't jump on people.