Jolly Egg Or Boomer Ball

Amanda.G

I'm not a huge fan of ball games with dogs, I've seen so many people stand a throw a ball to the dog over and over again. They think the dog gets very good exercise but afterwards the dog is even more stressed up then before. Dan loves to play with footballs, he usually plays alone happily with it. But the problem is that he spoiled them so fast and I'm afraid he'll swallow a piece of them. So I'm thinking of buying a boomer ball or a jolly egg. I'm more in to the egg, I think he might think it's more fun that it goes to different directions than just straight. Anyone who have any experience with the jolly egg toy?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Well I've recently got some 10" boomer balls for our dogs to try and they do seem to be tough if your dogs destructive (link one of mine zara is). Plus they can't get them in their mouth so I'm teaching mine to use their nose with it (although Zara likes usig her paws too).

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Mine don't have either, but a friend's Golden has the Jolly Egg and plays and plays and plays with it, she totally loves it. I think it depends on the dog, too. She has two Goldens, and the one is very happy to play independently with it, while the other dog much prefers the human interaction (as mine do), so will wait for someone to come play ball with her (as mine will, and only speaking for mine, they're always very happy after their daily game of ball). It always looks like she's having so much fun, cuz that egg just goes everywhere, and there's no way she can get her mouth around it (and heaven knows she tries). She's always jumping all over the place after it, it's a riot to watch - I love watching her play with her egg. I wish mine would play like that with it, but I know it would be a waste here. :confused: If you think Dan would play with it, go for the Jolly Egg, cuz for sure you'll be entertained watching him!

fickla

Experienced Member
If you're concern is the high level of arousal associated with chase games, than any type of jollyball/egg game is likely going to be even worse. All the dogs I've known have either been very bored with a jollyball or utterly obsessive over it because they can't pick it up .

My toller is obsessive with tennis balls, but a jolly ball brings out a whole new level of insanity :)

Morganlefay2003

I'm not a huge fan of ball games with dogs, I've seen so many people stand a throw a ball to the dog over and over again. They think the dog gets very good exercise but afterwards the dog is even more stressed up then before. Dan loves to play with footballs, he usually plays alone happily with it. But the problem is that he spoiled them so fast and I'm afraid he'll swallow a piece of them. So I'm thinking of buying a boomer ball or a jolly egg. I'm more in to the egg, I think he might think it's more fun that it goes to different directions than just straight. Anyone who have any experience with the jolly egg toy?
My Callie loves the egg, but she barks at it. Since this is a better outdoor than indoor toy, I cannot let her play with it for long. As far as throwing balls, other skills can be incorporated. Make the return be to hand. Use other objects. Dog in a sit before throwing. Release to go get the thrown object. Require a front or some heeling to get the object thrown.

Anneke

Honored Member
I have a boomerball.
He is obsessed by it. He hates the fact that he can't get it in his mouth, that it rolls away. If I let him in the yard with that ball, he is going nuts. He barks, drools, chases the ball into every corner and within ten minutes he is completely tired out.
I much prefer a ball game, with a tennisball, where I throw, he runs to get it and brings it back. A lot less stress and some controlled excersise.
Jinx is the same, although I haven't let her play with the ball as much.
If it is stress, you want to avoid, I'd choose the simple throw and catch;)
But if you want your dog to have fun on his own, the egg or the boomerball are both fun.
Personally I don't mind my dogs having this kind of stress, as it is fun. And I don't spend hours playing fetch, or let them play with the boomerball for ever.
Most dogs can handle this kind of stress(if the human doesn't push it too far;))
Jinx goes nuts over the frisbee, but I only play with her for ten minutes tops, usually less.
Knowing when to quit is the key.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Dazzle has an egg. I let her play alone with it and somethimes I step into the game aswell
She likes to run after it, try to get it into her mouth (nog really a succes)...
Pretty much the same as with Cooper from Anneke.
I see it as an 'positive' kind off stress, she can stop anytime herself, but keeps getting the egg. An introduction off another toy even will not stop her.