Jam rolls

harry

Lol:It might be a healthy food because jam is made of fresh fruits and eating fresh fruits in any way is healthy for the mind and body of the dog but I might try to make him more healthy

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Jams got lotta sugar. I bet your dog DOES enjoy these, but, probably you don't want your dog to get sugar. but it is sweet that you enjoy trying to please your dog, but you gotta worry about sugar, even bread is not nutritious for dogs, either, really.
I learned this the hard way. I once hooked up with a guy who LOVED his dog, this dog was ALREADY fat, took me a long time to get that dog trim again, i was surprised.
Took even longer to convince this man that just cuz a dog eats/enjoys something, does not mean it is good for the dog. And, that sugar is not same thing as loving a dog.

Harry, keep on exploring! YOu've got the enthusiasm to put effort in exploring homemade dog treats, but just keep 'em away from sugar for starters!

snooks

Experienced Member
A nice alternative might be some organic unsulphured molasses (not much) mixed with some fruit or yogurt or added in small amounts to treats. if not given often dogs do enjoy sweets and this would be a healthier unrefined sweet. Molasses has a lot of minerals, vitamins, is a natural laxative, and tastes good to dogs who may not be eating meals because they are old or ill. Do get unsulphured molasses and don't give too much as it can nauseate and if sulphured have bad effects.

Sweeteners
Sweeteners have no place in food products that are consumed daily, period. They are generally only added to poor quality foods to make them more attractive, since otherwise dogs would simply refuse to eat them. Many dogs get addicted to sweeteners, which can cause or aggravate health problems, including ear infections and diabetes. This addiction frequently poses a problem when owners are trying to convince their pets to eat a better quality food that does not contain any sweeteners, so frustrated owners continue feeding unhealthy brands.

From www.thedogfoodproject.com

Blackstrap Molasses is not very sweet, a source of many trace minerals and not the same as Cane Molasses. It is harmless as a supplement in small amounts.
While any sweeteners should be avoided in food that a dog eats on a daily basis, small amounts of unrefined sugar, such as honey or molasses, are okay in dog treats.
What to avoid:
►Cane molasses, corn syrup in any form, sugar, sorbitol, sucrose, fructose, glucose, ammoniated glycyrrhizin, propylene glycol

There is much ongoing research on the positive affects of honey and molasses on cancer and other canine disease.

onwards1981

Maybe to make them healthier you could use unsalted,unroasted peanut butter (trader joe's has unsalted, unblanched peanut butter) and roll the bread with PB and fresh sliced strawberries/blueberries. Our girl has a sweet tooth.. she LOVES Carob and Peanut butter.

snooks

Experienced Member
I actually bought carob chips this week for some kong treats w/peanutbutter. They def LOVE carob and molasses.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Carobs are some kind of bean or pea, BUT, they look AND taste just like chocolate!! I can not tell the difference really. Maybe some ppl can tell the difference between carob and chocolate, but i can't.

by the way, this year, i learned that grapes are not good for dogs to eat, so any GRAPE jams would not be good for dogs.

(BY THE WAY AGAIN, i am loving the new website design, wow, bet that was a lot of work, but wow, how nice is THIS!!!???)