It's Time

southerngirl

Honored Member
It's time to put Chase to sleep. His back legs barley work, he cries and growls constantly, he gets lost in corners and the list keeps going. Sometime this week or next week we plan on putting him to sleep.
In his younger days
Chase pulled me down 12 maybe more stairs on our front porch, I was 7 and man did my butt hurt. When I was 12 13 he almost pulled me into a ditch I had to slide to a sit to anchor myself down. Chase would only play with sticks. Me and three of my brothers would run around Chasing him, diving for him. We never could catch him. Oh and his name he got it because he chased cars. He got hit my a car which broke his back leg and got chipped my a motorcycle and hit by one. As he got older he stopped chasing cars. I grew up with Chase, I was around 2 when we got him. He will be missed. Chase was your classic Labrador retriever, a great family dog who loved his food. Besides the spots on his chest I haven't noticed any Dalmatian traits really. Goodbye old boy. May your legs be strong again and all your pain gone.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Sorry to hear about Chase. I remember so clearly putting to sleep my Tessie who was my dog through my childhood and it still chokes me up now but after all the years of friendship, play, love and companionship she gave me I know I had to let go when her legs gave out and she lost her quality of life. It is such a hard thing to do but I know it was her time and she went to a place she could be her bouncy self again not the sad, unhappy old girl she was. Doesn't make the loss easier to bear but keep the happy memories close always.
x

Honored Member
Sorry to hear about Chase. It sounds like it was a very hard decision, but it is the right time. Your family have given him a good long life.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm so sorry to hear this, it's such a hard decision to make. It does sound like he doesn't have much quality of life left tho, and that's what's important. What a life you two have had together! So many great memories and lots of happy fun times!

I can still remember a Golden/Cocker mix I had from when Iwas 11 until I was 28, I got her when she was 5 wks old (her mom and the rest of the litter died, poor girl was truly an orphan) and she died when she was 17-1/2 yrs old. We went thru everything together, and was the best and sweetest girl anyone could have ever asked for. :love:

Spend the last days you have with Chase just telling how much you love him and what a fabulous boy he is, and how much you've loved sharing your life with him. I wish there were an easy way to let them go, there's just not. Know you're giving him the final act of kindness and love you can show him. Sending hugs your way.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh Danielle, am crying, it's so sad. But Chase does sound like he's lost his quality of life and needs to go to that wonderful place where all pain and suffering ends. It's not easy, it's darned hard, no getting around that fact but it's the kindest act you can do. A totally unselfish, loving act to help a wonderful friend and companion be free of pain.

Know that Chase will be safe, there is a place for all animals across the Bridge, they have souls the same as we do. And when your time comes (which will not be for a long, long time yet) Chase will be standing there, tail wagging furiously, all ready to drag you down steps and into ditches. For him, time will not matter there is no concept of time across the Bridge, and it will seem like a mere blink of an eye until he's with you again.

The bonds of true, unconditional love which dogs give to us and we to them are NEVER broken. They cross all barriers.

Give him all the love which you've always given him, let him know how much you've loved having him as your companion and, when the time actually comes, be gentle on yourself too. Take time to grieve, cry and then, remember all the wonderful times you've had.

I'm truly so sorry, hugs to you and your family and I'll keep you all in my prays and pray that Chase crosses the Bridge peacefully.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you everyone. I love hearing about your childhood companions, they shape our childhood and are in so many of those childhood memories. Chase will get his short slow walks, canned food, and lots of TLC. Me and my brothers are going to take him to the creek to play in the water. He loves the water, when we still had a boat he spent his summers in the lake with us. I'll miss my old boy.

MaryK

Honored Member
What wonderful memories you'll always have of Chase. And taking him to his favorite place, the lake, is a wonderful idea. He'll love that. I know he'll be surrounded by love, loads of lovely tucker too.

Yes, our childhood is definitely shaped by our beautiful dogs. Mine was a Cocker Spaniel, a very independent young lady who had her own ideas about grooming. I would sit on a small stool and spend ages carefully grooming her ears. Oh they looked so beautiful, all long, silky and wavy - only to have her go straight over to her water and drag her ears back and forth in it! Then she'd lift her head, ears dripping wet and looking as if they'd been caught in a hurricane, look at me as if to say "Huh! I'm not into all this beauty business".

She too loved the beach and of course a good swim. And, for reasons best know to herself, decided that water was not safe for me! I had the total and complete embarrassment of having my dog try to drag me out by the seat of my kiddy bikini! I should add kiddy bikini bottoms are no safer, when dragged by a dog, than adult one! Sooooo embarrassing!

I still, to this day, have so many wonderful happy memories of Darkie. All the holidays we had together, all the fun times and the embarrassing ones too! And yes, I cried and cried when I lost my very best friend. But time healed the pain as it always does. And now I only remember the good times, never the sad.

southerngirl

Honored Member
What wonderful memories you'll always have of Chase. And taking him to his favorite place, the lake, is a wonderful idea. He'll love that. I know he'll be surrounded by love, loads of lovely tucker too.

Yes, our childhood is definitely shaped by our beautiful dogs. Mine was a Cocker Spaniel, a very independent young lady who had her own ideas about grooming. I would sit on a small stool and spend ages carefully grooming her ears. Oh they looked so beautiful, all long, silky and wavy - only to have her go straight over to her water and drag her ears back and forth in it! Then she'd lift her head, ears dripping wet and looking as if they'd been caught in a hurricane, look at me as if to say "Huh! I'm not into all this beauty business".

She too loved the beach and of course a good swim. And, for reasons best know to herself, decided that water was not safe for me! I had the total and complete embarrassment of having my dog try to drag me out by the seat of my kiddy bikini! I should add kiddy bikini bottoms are no safer, when dragged by a dog, than adult one! Sooooo embarrassing!

I still, to this day, have so many wonderful happy memories of Darkie. All the holidays we had together, all the fun times and the embarrassing ones too! And yes, I cried and cried when I lost my very best friend. But time healed the pain as it always does. And now I only remember the good times, never the sad.
Darkie sounds like she was a great dog, and too funny that she would try and drag you from water.:giggle:
Chase used to wait with us for the bus in the mornings and when we got on he would chase it for a little bit barking at it like the bus just stole us from him.

elissa

I'm so so sorry. big hugs. I'm tearing up here for you and remembering my old Irish setter, Sam... Such wonderful memories. It sounds like you're making the right decision for Chase, as hard as it is to make it.
xx

MaryK

Honored Member
Darkie sounds like she was a great dog, and too funny that she would try and drag you from water.:giggle:
Chase used to wait with us for the bus in the mornings and when we got on he would chase it for a little bit barking at it like the bus just stole us from him.
She was, we had many adventures together, especially at our home in the country where she could run free - but she was a real mud, burr, anything which would stick to a dog's coat dog magnet - and VERY chuffed about it all too! She never was a fashionista:rolleyes:

How lovely Chase would wait with you for the bus, then run after it a little. Is that how he got his name??:) Darkie couldn't do that as my school was in the city and of course, she had to wait for me at home.

southerngirl

Honored Member
She was, we had many adventures together, especially at our home in the country where she could run free - but she was a real mud, burr, anything which would stick to a dog's coat dog magnet - and VERY chuffed about it all too! She never was a fashionista:rolleyes:

How lovely Chase would wait with you for the bus, then run after it a little. Is that how he got his name??:) Darkie couldn't do that as my school was in the city and of course, she had to wait for me at home.
He got his name from chasing anything in sight, even at 8 weeks he chased everything.