Is this common?

greatpyreneesmum

We just brought our new pyr pup home yesterday and I have a few questions. Is it common for a pup to care less about humans? I mean, at all--our pup just isn't interested in anything we do. Toys, food, soft voices, kissy noises, nothing gets his attention, excites or soothes him. He just lays around sleeping and whining when awake. What can I do to help him? I'm sure the change of a new place and missing his mom/other pups is probably why he is so non-responsive but I don't know what to do.

It's so bad that he won't even play by himself and I hate that a pup 6.5 wks old (probably too young to have left mommy I think) is so darned depressed. He is eating and drinking great, but so incredibly shy and sad.

I believe the breeder didn't have much time to devote to this litter as she had with previous litters because he acts like he's never interacted with humans before. That's the feeling I get, I dunno. But I made a promise to this little guy and I am not giving up.

Any advice is much appreciated

Denise

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
greatpyreneesmum;13387 said:
We just brought our new pyr pup home yesterday and I have a few questions. Is it common for a pup to care less about humans? I mean, at all--our pup just isn't interested in anything we do. Toys, food, soft voices, kissy noises, nothing gets his attention, excites or soothes him. He just lays around sleeping and whining when awake. What can I do to help him? I'm sure the change of a new place and missing his mom/other pups is probably why he is so non-responsive but I don't know what to do.

It's so bad that he won't even play by himself and I hate that a pup 6.5 wks old (probably too young to have left mommy I think) is so darned depressed. He is eating and drinking great, but so incredibly shy and sad.

I believe the breeder didn't have much time to devote to this litter as she had with previous litters because he acts like he's never interacted with humans before. That's the feeling I get, I dunno. But I made a promise to this little guy and I am not giving up.

Any advice is much appreciated

Denise
Hi Denise,

I think that getting your pup at 6 weeks old is a little young, was there a specific reason for the breeder to do this? Were they experienced breeders? I say this because most breeders will not release their pups before 8 or 9 weeks old.

But anyways, what is done is done. Puppies sleep all the time, it's normal. They can't walk straight, they're clumsy and they pee everywhere. That's all part of puppyhood! :) It will take time for your pup to get used to the new house, new smells and you.

Did they have any toys where they were born? Maybe getting one the exact same shape will make it easier for the pup to play.

Remember, it's only been a day, it will take some time for your pup to build a bond with you.

P.S. Did you take him to the VET to make sure there is nothing physically ill with him? You have to do this now because if there is anything wrong, the breeder will most likely not give you any money back.

Jean

greatpyreneesmum

I'm not sure why she let them go at 6 weeks. She breeds 3 different breeds -- Great Pyr, Chihuahua and Dachs. All of the dogs she has had great temperaments and she had all the paperwork for vet checks, DNA testing, hip dysplasia negative etc. She has only bred the Pyr. for 2 yrs. (2 litters) though. Are smaller breed dogs more likely to be ready to leave mom @ 6 wks.?

Doctor day is tomorrow so we'll see if he's truly healthy then.

No toys, just his bros and sisters to chew on. Oh, and the occasional goat.

Denise

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Well, he is very new to your home. Also, Pyrs at that age to me seem even less active than typical puppies. Large breeds tend to need more rest at that age. Large breeds also mature much slower than others.

One thing you can do is randomly drop amazing treats around the house, and the pup will soon learn, "Hey, this goofy looking dog is a treat dispenser!!!" You can also click and treat randomly to boost his confidence and help get him more interested in you.

I wouldn't be too worried. He's still settling in, and the stress of leaving the mum, littermates, and home can easily cause him to need more rest. I would recommend crate training so that he has a place to retreat to that is quiet and separate from the stressful new home.

And most breeders do keep them for a bare minimum of 8 weeks---dogs of any breeds. In my opinion it's much better for the pups to stay at least that long.
Good luck to you and enjoy the new pup! He's adorable. :)

snooks

Experienced Member
I agree 6 weeks is too young to leave mom. Also go to the vet pronto to be sure he doesn't have a big worm load, clostridium, or some other reason to feel bad. If she didn't interact with her litter much then the breeder isn't a great one esp knowing she's letting puppies go at 6 weeks. Puppies need to interact and be held and meet all the new people they can. They need to bond with people and play and have positive experiences.

Get a load of toys and see what he likes and start playing. Start luring with food and telling him what a clever boy he is. He may not have a fully developed personality yet but his desire for food is an instinct that helps strongly imprint certain things. If you are holding out stinky meaty treats you will make an impression. Interact and bring as many new positive people into his life as possible now. This is a critical socialization time and it will dictate over his life how confident and happy he is with new situations and new people. Pyrs are a little suspicious anyway---don't let him become introverted, unbonded, and not be able to socialize with happy confidence.

greatpyreneesmum

Wow, what a difference a day makes in puppy world!!! We found what motivates him----other dogs! We live next door to our family and they have two healthy jacks. We introduced them and he perked up (literally) by LEAPS and BOUNDS! He was so tuckered out that he slept from 10pm to 4am. After his final puppy shots, we'll begin introducing him to as many healthy dogs and people we can find. Until then, his new cousins will work just fine.

Vet checked him and he's a o k so we are happy about that.

I will try to add a couple of pics, we'll see if they will post............

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all your help!!!!

Denise

mydogcansneeze

Cute dog!

You have such a cute dog! Puppies are kind of awkward at first, but let the little guy get used to you and your surroundings. Once he becomes more compfortable and understands that it all belongs to him(well thats what they think) he will become more playful.:dogcool:

Cute puppy!!!! :) Do yourself a favor and take TONS and TONS and TONS of pictures of your puppy. They're only small for a very short period of time. In two months he won't even look the same.

snooks

Experienced Member
keep socializing him with other dogs. it sounds like he loves being around other creatures, hence true to his breed bonds to and takes joy in his flock of people and dogs.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh I'm in loooooove. ^^ The dark lines leading away from his eyes are sooooo...I don't know they just look good. :doglaugh: He's gorgeous. Did you and your hubbie settle on a training method??? (positive or otherwise)