Is Anybody Thinking On Making Vet College?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
not me, but, where i live, it's very very hard to get into vet college, cuz we do not have enough vet colleges. It's easier to get into medical school, than vet college, where i live.:eek:

I know of a few members who DO have that goal, but, i guess it'd be their place to say so, not mine.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I am I've been wanting to be a vet since I was a little girl. I'm stuck between a Veterinarian or a dog trainer. I've always wanted to be a vet but the 7years to become one is gearing me more and more toward being a dog trainer. If I do go to college for a Vet than I will go to a local community college for 2or 3years(Pre Vet) Than to the University of Tennessee for 4years. For a dog trainer I want to go to several different colleges cause I want to know how to rehabilitate aggressive dogs along with the normal dog trainer stuff. Veterinarian college here is very hard to get into so you always need a back up plan.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I was in the same boat Southerngirl. :) I started out Pre-Vet and then decided I wasn't really sure if that's the route I wanted to go. So, I did a little research with my advisor and found that I could switch to Animal Science very easily--the courses are very similar depending on which Animal Science option you take. So my thinking was I could still have a degree that would cover 99% of the careers I'd be interested in, and still be able to easily switch back to Pre-Vet if I should want to. As an Animal Science major you can still work in the veterinary field as an assistant or technician, I believe. The best thing you can do to help you decide and to help you get into vet school if you decide to is to work for a vet. Experience working alongside a vet is a big plus. You will need letters of recommendation from vets too, so working for one gives you at least one who should write you a good letter of recommendation. I talked to my vet about my interest in vet school and he had a TON of good advice for me, and even let me watch a few surgeries to give me an idea of everyday work for him. He's been awesome. According to several vets I have spoken to and many professors, most of the vet schools in the country are looking for a MINIMUM of 4.0 GPAs right now. Excellent grades are a must to get in.

The tough part about being a dog trainer for a living is that, at least until you get some name recognition, your income will fluctuate greatly due to demand. You will have the best opportunities in or near big cities, but still getting started is the tough part. It is definitely good to have a degree behind you in case the training thing doesn't work out though. That's pretty much what I think I am doing right now, lol.

Aaaaand I just realized Southergirl's post was not the original post, and was not necessarily asking for any advice. :ROFLMAO: Haha. Ah well, I'll just leave this in case anyone did have questions pertaining to either one. LOL!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Your going to be a senior right?
I have to decide next school year cause I start sending out college applications. It's so scary knowing that soon I won't be in grade school anymore. Are you scared about going to college? In a way I can't wait, but than again I can. Do lots of research on what a vets normal day at work is like, talk to your school counselor. try to see if you can talk to a Vet and ask them questions about what a normal day is at work, how tuff was vet college, what subjects you should be strong in and so on. Good luck on deciding, I know it's tuff deciding.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I am scared too... I feel pretty much like you southerngirl...Plus that if I am going to do it I got move...
I already did all the research you said...
At least vet college arround here isn't so tuff!
Have no idea what you mean by that: Your going to be a senior right?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Oh sorry where I live 9th graders are called freshman 10th grade sophmore 11th grade junior 12th grade Senior. So what I mean is are you going to be in 12th grade.
Why do you have to move out? Is the college you're planning on going to not close to your house. I'm probably going to a college close to home for the first year so I can live at home than after that year I'll move out.

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
So I'm like a senior...
Because there's just vet college (on another cities) 100Km lest or west from home!!

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I have half a year to choose what I want to do. Do you mean Vet tech by vet college? I would love to become a vet tech but I'm still unsure. they don't get paid much I hear but do what you love.
There's just vet arround here... (No vet tech)
You can became a vet on college....
I'm get crazy about that....
The pay depends on the area...

charmedwolf

Staff member
I'm in college right now and am set on going to a vet college in the next few years. The only bad thing about my whole plan is the two vet colleges I want to go to is all the way up in Mass and all the way down in Texas while I'm in New Jersey. That probably wouldn't bother me if it wasn't the fact that both are in the city and I hate cities:mad:.

My dad did a very odd thing to help me pick what I wanted to be because I was stuck between a computer programer and a veterinarian. He took a coin and said" Tails computers, heads vet". When he flipped it he wouldn't tell me what it landed on til I told him my first thought when it was in the air. It turns out when you flip a coin you suddenly know what you truely want. My first thought was,"Please be heads"

bekah1001

Honored Member
There's just vet arround here... (No vet tech)
You can became a vet on college....
I'm get crazy about that....
The pay depends on the area...
Cause in ottawa there is a college where you can go to become a vet tech and than there are universities for Vet which I think is like 5-7 years I think.
I