Intro Post

cdn98y

Hi. My Name is Cathy. My family (husband and two boys 4yo & 6yo) and I are new owners to a 3 1/2 month old Golden Retriever named Harley. We live in Michigan and have been braving the elements with Harley and have a good handle on the potty training. We've been using books, blogs and Utube for our training helps. Looking forward to exploring this site more and getting some tips with training.(y) We love Harley very much and very glad to have him in our family.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Welcome to the forum! I am a golden lover and owner of a 4 1/2 year old golden. His name is River. He does all kinds of tricks. Golden Retrievers are generally very food motivated and easy to train. Enjoy your puppy!

MaryK

Honored Member
Hi and Welcome:D Goldies are gorgeous dogs, my late Ra Kismet was GSxGoldie. They're very smart, loving dogs and as said, very food motivated. Kudos for taking potty training seriously despite the weather!

cdn98y

Welcome, Cathy, Harley and family. It must be tough to potty train a puppy in the middle of a Michigan winter.
It's been an interesting time with the severe cold and all the snow. Thankfully Harley loves the snow. I too have been thankful for the exercise because it gets me out far more than I would have without the puppy.

cdn98y

Welcome to the forum! I am a golden lover and owner of a 4 1/2 year old golden. His name is River. He does all kinds of tricks. Golden Retrievers are generally very food motivated and easy to train. Enjoy your puppy!
Thank you for the welcome. Love your dog's name. So nice to know you've had success with training. The beginning stages are challenging but as you said I have found him responsive to food and eager to learn. We are focusing on the simple commands right now.

cdn98y

Hi and Welcome:D Goldies are gorgeous dogs, my late Ra Kismet was GSxGoldie. They're very smart, loving dogs and as said, very food motivated. Kudos for taking potty training seriously despite the weather!
Thank you for the welcome Mary. So nice to know of your experiences with Goldens.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Mary, how did you come to that conclusion about Ra Kismet's breed? I remember you were tossing around a few possibilities, and he had a similar look to Brody.

MaryK

Honored Member
Mary, how did you come to that conclusion about Ra Kismet's breed? I remember you were tossing around a few possibilities, and he had a similar look to Brody.
I knew he was GS X - yes did toss around between BC's and Retrievers but the thing which cinched the matter was the fact that one of the vet nurses has a dog who is IDENTICAL to Ra Kismet, they looked like twin brothers, and she knows for a fact her boy is GSxGoldie. Also, Ra Kismet's nature etc. was really very Golden as well as GS.

His vet did also take some extra blood during one of his many blood tests, to send off for a DNA.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I knew he was GS X - yes did toss around between BC's and Retrievers but the thing which cinched the matter was the fact that one of the vet nurses has a dog who is IDENTICAL to Ra Kismet, they looked like twin brothers, and she knows for a fact her boy is GSxGoldie. Also, Ra Kismet's nature etc. was really very Golden as well as GS.

His vet did also take some extra blood during one of his many blood tests, to send off for a DNA.
You need to change your signature, then. Its still says, "and Fur-Angel Ra Kismet a certified Mutt-i-gree Shep/Border Collie". Did you have the DNA done?

freedomdreams

Welcome to DTA! I'm sure you'll love it here :) If you need any help with your new puppy- feel free to ask! We're all more than happy to help :)