Intrinsic/extrinsic reinforcement & punishment

molly

Hi, can somebody please explain to me the meanings of extrinsic & intrinsic reinforcement/punishment and possibly give dog training examples along with meanings??

Thankyou,

Molly

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
molly;787 said:
Hi, can somebody please explain to me the meanings of extrinsic & intrinsic reinforcement/punishment and possibly give dog training examples along with meanings??

Thankyou,

Molly
Sorry, I have never heard of those terms, where did you hear them?

bipa

From an article entitled by Martin Deeley

First, the intrinsic reward for the dog comes from doing a job she enjoys, the feeling of doing that job well, and the praise she receives for it. The second type of reward comes from something completely independent of the task such as food, a ball, or a tug toy given as an addition afterwards, an extrinsic reward. Learning from actions which are enjoyable and the dog wants or is almost compelled to do because of its natural instincts, are easily rewarded. These actions can then be further reinforced through recognition in the form of praise and petting. Linked with what the dog enjoys, verbal praise becomes a strong reward in itself.
Actions and training routines which need encouragement and may be slightly more tedious or boring to the dog can be rewarded with something at the end which is enjoyable - such as a game of retrieve. However, should routines be boring? Or can we make the majority of them far more enjoyable by using even what can be considered extrinsic rewards as an integral part of the training exercise and not just something added on at the end. The reward is then the exercise and the training session, which when additionally reinforced through praise and recognition of a job well done, develops the dog much quicker. In addition, the bond between trainer and dog will also grow at an increased rate.
So an intrinsic punishment would be a dog's feeling of frustration and failure at not being able to reach the treats you left on the counter. An extrinsic punishment would be you getting out the water pistol and "shooting" the dog for counter surfing.

Cheers!
Vera

yoyopoodle

I have only used it in terms of reinforcement, so that is how I'll explain it. Intrinsic comes from within - the dog naturally enjoys it... these actions or feelings are dependent on the individual dog. Some dogs like to bark, so if you ignore them they will bark more and more - the motivation is intrinsic - the behavior in and of itself makes them happy.
Other dogs will only bark for attention, so if you ignore them they will soon be quite - those are the dogs that are not intrinsically motivated to bark.

Extrinsic motivation is something that comes from the outside - something that you can provide them to make them happy, such as praise or playing tug.
These are the things most of us do to let our dogs know we are happy with them/their performance.

However, you can also use an intrinsic motivation as praise... anything the dog likes, right? So that dog who just loves to barkbarkbark all of the time, it can be put on command and used as praise - "Great sit, now you can speak!!!"

liowkc

The sound of a clicker acts as a reinforcement because the dog will associate it with a primary reward stimulus such as a food. Thus the clicker has become one of the most popular training method acting as the reinforcer for good behavior.