Interesting Article, Very Personal To Me.

stdpoodad

Experienced Member

http://lifeasahuman.com/2015/pets/the-compliant-dog-coercion-and-compulsion-in-dog-training/
Seamus and Teaghan are good examples. I used compulsion, prong, shock, the whole nine yard with Seamus when he was young. Even though it's been years since I threw all that crap away, the learning blocks still remain. As the article states, he's a good dog in most senses of the word. However it's very hard to teach him new things cause he just sits there and looks at me. He's getting over it though.

Teaghan, on the other hand, I've taught using shaping and marker training. She loves to try new thngs! If I don't show a reaction, she trys something else until she gets a treat (or a thrown toy)

dukey_boy

Seamus sounds exactly like Duke and for the same reasons. I wish a lot more people could read that article so that they wouldn't do the same things to their dogs that you and I did to ours.

running_dog

Honored Member
Thanks for posting the article.

It's good to have both of you on here, often positive trainers will say they could never use punishments or have always known it is wrong to use aversives with dogs. It is good to know there are other people like me who have had to change and have to live with knowing we weren't instinctively blessed with an 100% positive training philosophy. You (and I) are the living proof that positive reinforcement training is for everyone even those to whom it doesn't come naturally.

I think Zac's almost rehabilitated... LOL... the day he took a leisurely roll in goose poop right in front of me I knew he trusted me :LOL: . Before that he used to roll in the blink of an eye mid run so I couldn't spot him to shout at him :(.