Impressive/unusual Tricks Brag> Add Away Ppl..

7Riddler7

Interested in hearing about some tricks ppl have made up or seen/learnt..
Can be very cool when it an origional thing that the dog begins to do by itself that gets reinforced into a trick.

Be creative. I dont have anything to special at this time just been working on the same tricks withoutverbal command only signal jestures..

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ALSO, for step by step, easy-to-understand training video tutorials,
GO TO THE CLASSROOM sign at top of this page, where my dog-training hero, Jean, the site owner, has many many great tricks you can teach your dog!!!

sara

Staff member
Oliver has some unusual ideas about tricks... if he can do them backwards he will! He crawls backwards, and I never taught him that, he can do a backwards figure eight between my legs, but wont do it forwards, He'll walk backwards around my legs, but not forwards, he does a backwards peek-a-boo, but not the forwards one... he's a silly guy. He even tried (unsuccessfully, mind you) to go through a hoop backwards when I was teaching him that trick... silly guy. It seems that he gets stuck in reverse gear! LOL He also taught himself to balance on a post, and to say "Momma".

I have to figure out a funny cue for him lifting his back leg (like he's marking) I might use "Do you like to play Golf?", or "Whadda you think of the Liberals?"

7Riddler7

Oliver has some unusual ideas about tricks... if he can do them backwards he will! He crawls backwards, and I never taught him that, he can do a backwards figure eight between my legs, but wont do it forwards, He'll walk backwards around my legs, but not forwards, he does a backwards peek-a-boo, but not the forwards one... he's a silly guy. He even tried (unsuccessfully, mind you) to go through a hoop backwards when I was teaching him that trick... silly guy. It seems that he gets stuck in reverse gear! LOL He also taught himself to balance on a post, and to say "Momma".

I have to figure out a funny cue for him lifting his back leg (like he's marking) I might use "Do you like to play Golf?", or "Whadda you think of the Liberals?"
Oliver sounds very confident, backwards is still a little scary for my female b/c but she has come a long way was pretty timid when i got her at 9 weeks. 6months this week.

sara

Staff member
Oliver was a scared, fear aggressive dog that I adopted from Houston, TX as a 6 month old pup... He has certainly done extremely well, and tricks are helping his confidence immensely.

7Riddler7

What do you find the hardest with owning dogs with disabilities? Sara
Scout (deaf Terrier mix)
Zoe (paranoid (abused) Lhasa x Bichon)
Oliver (not deaf Texas Terrier)
Mouse (deaf and vi Double Dapple Mini Dachshund)
Boo (deaf and vi Double Dapple Mini Dachshund)

would be a lot more than just hard to direct and could scare them if they dont hear you come near them if going fast and shock them.> Good to hear about the care the dogs get :) Any tips incase of aged and disabled dogs in the future i may come across?

7Riddler7

Other than some sad in operable problems with a few puppies yrs in the past luckely worse i have had to come across was sad bad arthritis i n the eldest dogs i ever owned in the family.

sara

Staff member
Deaf dogs dont scare easier than hearing dogs, that's a myth. Infact my deafies are alot more bomb-proof than my hearing dogs. Scout was sooo easy to train, she's the sweetest, friendliest dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNexJY1Q8OE

Deaf dogs truly aren't difficult to own. About the only consideration you have to make is not letting them off leash in an unenclosed area, however deafies can be successfully trained for a vibrating collar recall, or like my Scout, she's been trained to check in constantly and comes the second I give the sign. You also have to get up to prevent unwanted chewing and such, just telling them not to doesn't work lol. Scout, Mouse and Boo are clicker trained as well, Scout with a thumb's up and Mouse and Boo with a light.

7Riddler7

cheers interesting and informative. some old dogs have had where slightly deaf from certain angles had seemed shocked sometimes if they did not know you where coming from behind. also in previous post about if oliver can puppy tries to do the tricks backwards > i wonder if that is because guages a higher amount of feedback from audience of ppl around?

7Riddler7

I saw a puppy the other day do a hand stand than began swaying and peeing like a sprinkaler. Hilarious sight when it was so spontaneous had no idea it was going2 do that

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh darn, i was JUST fixing to hit "like" on post #5 of this thread, til i read very last line, in which the joke cue is a slap against an entire group of people, of which i am proud to be one of.

sigh.
(My own inner moral code doesn't much allow me to joke derisively against entire groups of people 'as if' everyone in a group would be just the same as a stereotype. We just have toooooo much of that mindset going around, and wayyyyyy too much hatred and divisiness in the USA, imo.)

but otherwise, until an entire group of human beings was slapped at, as if we are all the same, as if a stereotype is worth promoting, until THAT crack, well, i LOVED the rest of post #5!!!

and now,
back to our regularly schedule topic, DOGS!!

(sorry for derail, but, i will stand up for *any* group of people being put down, whether or not i belong to the group being put down.)

sara

Staff member
oh darn, i was JUST fixing to hit "like" on post #5 of this thread, til i read very last line, in which the joke cue is a slap against an entire group of people, of which i am proud to be one of.

sigh.
(My own inner moral code doesn't much allow me to joke derisively against entire groups of people 'as if' everyone in a group would be just the same as a stereotype. We just have toooooo much of that mindset going around, and wayyyyyy too much hatred and divisiness in the USA, imo.)

but otherwise, until an entire group of human beings was slapped at, as if we are all the same, as if a stereotype is worth promoting, until THAT crack, well, i LOVED the rest of post #5!!!

and now,
back to our regularly schedule topic, DOGS!!

(sorry for derail, but, i will stand up for *any* group of people being put down, whether or not i belong to the group being put down.)
I dont think you realize what I meant by Liberals. In Canada, we have Political Parties called: The Liberal Party, The Progressive Conservatives and the New Democratic Party, and well as some other smaller parties. I vote PC, and I HATE the Liberal Leader. It's a political crack, not a joke against a group of people.... But I can see how you would misunderstand if you dont know anything about Canadian Politics. It'd be like you being a Democrat and asking your dog "whadda you think of the Republicans". I would dearly love to ask "whadda you think about Ignatiaff" He is the Liberal leader, and i hate him with a passion, but it's too much word to use as a cue LOL

My other thought was "Whadda you think about Chevy Trucks?" LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ohhh, Sara, yes, don't make the same the mistake *i* did, using ONE political leader's name,
(who is now out of office)
so the whole trick is now soooo outdated....and no longer funny.

sigh. Now i have to figure out how to swap out the cue. I tried swapping out one (1) word, but Buddy looks very confused by new question...i *hope* i will not have to start allllllllll over using post-its stuck onto chairs to teach him to shake his head "no" from scratch....