I want to move to ALASKA!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
UGH! The heat is driving me crazy. >< (I'm sure those of you in Arizona are thinking, "Pfft! She has no idea...") It hasn't been under 102 since summer started. I really like Texas, but GOSH! It's soooo hooot. Taking the dogs to parks with ponds/lakes is a great way to beat the heat, BUT, I just don't want to wash the lake-water-stink off that often. Thus, our outdoor trips are limited to wee-hours-of-the-morning trips soaked in mosquito repellant, or dog-friendly air conditioned stores. Which means gas....and my truck gets 10 miles to the gallon. So it's either confine ourselves to indoors, go across town to somewhere that allows dogs, or die of a heat stroke at the park....or wash the dogs several times a month after a lake trip. I want to get a pool but haven't gotten around to it nor do I need to spend the money on a good sized pool. So my fuzzy friends and I haven't been up to much of anything. Today we had a bath day, all 4 big dogs got a good bath.

Z has class tonight which I'll be leaving for shortly. Mudflap's coming to work with me tomorrow(I suppose I can spill the beans...although formerly a Petsmart manager for a good period of time, I have stepped down yesterday for reasons I won't discuss...). She has an appointment with our best groomer. :) Just trimming a few crazy hairs, lol, and her groomer's been asking about her. As for my job, I'll be moving to a training position soon(yay!). It will work out better anyway with school starting towards the end of next month, so my life will be much less stressful. I feel better already. Anyway, straying from the point...it's HOT! Lol! So we're having to find things to do INDOORS. And boy is it difficult. :dogcool:

Sooo, indoor accomplishments....TODAY I started teaching Mud to jump over Zeke. And she picked it up in about three tries. I've been debating who would be best to be the jumper....both know the command "jump" and will jump anything, BUT, Mud has a flawless stay and is more confident....Zeke is a little intimidated by another dog zooming over him, but likes jumping things more than Mud and does it easier. So I don't know, but I tried it with Mud and both did fine. But Z was a little unsure. He does trust Mud a great deal though, so I know we could work through that easily. I might be enrolling Mud in an advanced class soon. We'll see. Anywho...how's the weather in your part of the world?

jazzycat

hey cowgirl. I sympathize with you about the heat. Savannah is extremely hot as well, and HUMID!, which makes the heat even worse! I walk Blue before 10 in the am (usually around 7:30am) and after 6 in the evening (usually closer to 8pm), so it's at least cooler than the rest of the day. Sometimes we do a quick 'round the block thing during the day, but never further than that. I take her up to Petsmart or for rides in the car sometimes, but I need to find her a playmate. She wants to do stuff during the day sometimes. We have a big inground pool, but it isn't fit for swimming right now. It's been raining so much here lately it's hard to keep the algae from growing. So the pool guy us coming this weekend. Hopefully it won't rain any more before then and we can get it back in order, so we can SWIM! I've tried playing with her out back, throwing a ball, stuff like that, but she doesn't chase the ball. What to do, what to do. We have two other dogs, but they are both much older, around 13, so they don't have the same energy level.

As far as teaching, when we walk, I am working on teaching her "left, right, stop, wait, and go." I figure those commands will come in handy once she's trained to use the bike jogger thing I bought the other day. I never thought of training her to jump over the other dogs. That might be fun. :D Next month I am putting her in an obedience class though. As she's grown more comfortable here, she has also become more demanding, so I really the training in how to work with her. LOL. She really does have a great personality though. She has started "talking" and she's very chatty sometimes. It's very funny when she does it. I've never seen a dog do that before. :D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ick humid here too. It certainly is hard to find things to do in such hot weather.

Lol so you have a talker. ^^ I loooove talkers. I knew an older Rottie mix who lived with an ACD, Aussie x, and a BC. The Rott x was a MAJOR talker, allllways talkin' up a storm. She felt the need to introduce herself to new people, and then tell them her life story any time anyone paid her any attention at all. It was hilarious. When she passed away, her BC buddy picked it up, and now Zoe talks all the time! It's funny how Zoe just decided to start talking...guess that's her coping mechanism. :doglaugh: Sweet girl. They belong to a friend of mine.

bellapup

116 degrees and going, here. :dogtongue: Yuck. We can't even go to the park until at least 7pm. At 10:30pm it goes down to a whopping 106 degrees. And what stinks is that I practically have to force Bella to take a break because she gets so ball crazy. Sometimes I wish I had a pool...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ugh, you live on the sun! xP How does anything live in Arizona....x| I have family in Washington, and less than 1/4 of the population there even owns an air-conditioned home. Most people either have just heaters(that are off all summer/spring), or they might have a fan or two. No air conditioners needed, the weather's perfect! How I envy them.

jazzycat

When I lived in Los Angeles, I lived in Venice, a few blocks from the beach. Never had air conditioning, the whole time I lived there (10 years). Never needed it, except for one time for about 3 days it got REALLY unbearably hot. So I got a huge bowl of ice and put it in front of the fan. It worked great! We rarely used the heater in winter either. I just walked around in sweats a lot in the winter. :D I reeeally miss the LA weather.

Of course if you live in the valley, that's quite another story. MUST HAVE AC if you live in the valley!

ozibe

Experienced Member
aussie heat

I don't know about US weather in texas, but it does sound similar to the heat here in australia! depending on which part of the country you are it is either hot dry, hot humid or just plain disgusting! moving means you break out into a sweat and the flies just lurve you as transportation during the summer months

When i lived in Albury the weather often sat at 45'c and the only way to cool off was to go down to the Murray River, swim across the river, walk upstream a km or so and then float back down in the center of the river. The dogs loved this!!!! No sooner had you pulled up and they would be leaping out of the car and making a beeline for the river.

As for moving, well I'd love to move to Washington State and set up business over there. That is my dream.

marieke

Poor you. Here in Holland it's been hot but hardly ever gets more hot than 86. It's a very humid heat though, very unpleasant too.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
HOw about a sprinkler? I am buying a new one for Buddy, will turn it on real low, moving back and forth, you know, hoping to lure him into liking water...somehow...

jazzycat

marieke;18960 said:
Poor you. Here in Holland it's been hot but hardly ever gets more hot than 86. It's a very humid heat though, very unpleasant too.
ack! 86 with a lot of humidity is like 98 in a dry climate. It's very humid here as well. And... it hasn't stopped raining for the past couple of months. I am not exaggerating! Our pool is a pond and it is about to overflow. Today is the first day it hasn't rained in weeks!