I got my puppy!

marineangel

Finally today i got my German Shepherd "Max" i am very excited:doglaugh:! i can't wait to start training him! Do you have any advice on how to start the potty training and everything else? i kind of started with the "Sit" and he was responding to it but it's kind of hard to get his attention and keep it. He's almost 8 weeks old. Here's a picture of him!

dat123

Experienced Member
How exciting :msnhugegrin:

He's a real cutie .

Take plenty of pics and videos while he's young, you'll treasure them later.

Enjoy the highs and lows of puppyhood .:msnparty:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
What a cute puppy!!! HeHeHehe

Tips for potty training:

Don't let the dog out of your sight. Keep him in the same room as you all the time. Because to successfully potty train a dog you need to avoid accidents inside and to reinforce the dog for going outside.

Puppies will need to go to the bathroom when waking up, after a nap, after playing or when excited. Always bring him outside after his naps! And praise him, pet him and give him treats after he goes outside!!!

Don't give him a treat while he is doing his business, wait right after he is done. Otherwise he might stop and he will still have some left.

Say "Duties, Duties, Duties" while he is doing his business outside for the entire first week. Then the second week you'll be able to say Duties and he'll go pee!

Always catch him in the act. If he pees in your house, say AHHHHH!!!! and bring him outside immediately, don't forget to praise him after he's done.

Do not ever rub his face or his nose in his accidents - that will not help!

Puppies will sniff and walk in circles seconds before they have to do their business, be on the lookout for that.

Play a lot with your new puppy! You want to develop a good bond with him that will last his lifetime!

Don't let him play with your other dog yet. He's too small and too young.

Start crate training him for short periods of time. Don't let him out if he is winning, crying or barking. Yes the first few times he might be barking for four hours, don't let him out. But obviously get him tired before you put him in his crate, and keep him in there for really short periods of time in the beginning!

Make sure your crate is small enough, if it's too big he will do his business in one corner and sleep in the other.

Try to clean the urine off the carpets and floors using a deodorizing pet formula that will get rid of the smell.

Have fun!

Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures!!!!! He'll grow pretty fast!!!

Oh and don't tolerate any biting.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Oh and obedience and training is not really that important right now. :) You can focus on building a good relationship with the dog and potty train him until 12 weeks of age without no ill effect.

leema

It was a week before Clover worked out the correlation between learning/be successful and being rewarded. Once she worked this out, then we began Sue Ailsby's training levels. You can see them here:

Congrats on your new dog.

marineangel

I want to thank everyone for the replies and advice! I really appreciate it, it's very helpful. Max is a sweet little boy lol, we're working on potty training and teaching him how to sit, he's starting to respond to "sit" so i'm very excited. It's kind of hard getting his attention sometimes but i manage to. he has had a few accidents but now i take him out almost every hour, and god he pees and goes potty! lol

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that I did a lot with my dog Chase was get her to LOOOOOOOOVE toys. I'd get her to chase them around all the time and make a big deal if she took one in her mouth. I'd always let her win tugging contests!

Haha. The point is that now i can use toys to train, so it's fun! :)

heidib860

How adorable. Max is really a cutie and a great name if I don't say so myself. I look forward to seeing more picutres.

marineangel

heidib860;7022 said:
How adorable. Max is really a cutie and a great name if I don't say so myself. I look forward to seeing more picutres.
Aww thanks lol it is a great name! :dogbiggrin: Here are some pictures of him!

Just him in the yard:dogcool:

His first meal:doglaugh:

In the living room

Loving his big brother Niko lol :dogtongue2:

posie

awwwwwwww he is so cute it is great that you are all ready teaching sit and it great that he is all ready responding at 8 weeks that is pretty good!

dreamr802

Awwww that puppy is super cute! I want a puppy soooo bad but right now my boyfriend and I can't really afford one. I really want a toy chiuahua/palmarinian. I know i can't spell but a couple who lives in the same complex as us has one and they are soooo cute.

jeepdog

The three most important commands to me are sit, stay and come. Being able to tell you dog to sit and stay from a distance can be life saving. Here's to you and Max have a great life together.