How To Teach "speak" (step-by-step)

karleee

Experienced Member
Ok,this is a fairly easy one

1.start by getting your dog excited
2.when your dog gives a playful bark,mark and reward
3.repeat step 2 for a while
4.add in the word speak,mark and reward
5.continue until dog learn the command (over a few sessions)
5.once your dog gets the command,you can add a siginal such as opening and closing your hand :)

This is a good trick,and you can add on with the croud pleasing trick "count" :)

IMPORTANT: you MUST teach your dog it isn't okay to use "speak" continuiosly without bbeing asked,this can turn into problem barking ;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ah great tutorial!
but,
it's a far more fun trick,:ROFLMAO:
if one thinks up an amusing question or funny cue,
and then have dog bark to THAT verbal cue.
my dog barks when he hears "Buddy, wanna beer?"
BARK!:ROFLMAO:
I did just what you said,
only, i used a computer-printer to get my dog to bark.
for whatever reason, my dog found the printer disturbing,:cautious:
and barked whenever something printed.
so i used that as the trigger to get him to bark on cue.
THEN,
later on, then I had to go back to get him to learn to be calm while printer went off, {just so he would have one less thing bothering him.} Now he can sleep through the printer going off.
ALSO,
once you reward a dog for barking,
they do tend to bark MORe OFTEN.
i'm just sayin.
ppl tried to warn me,
and now,
my dog IS far barkier than he ever was before.
the week after ppl teaching "speak" they will THEN begin to try to learn how to get a dog to STOP barking, lol!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol,
my brother,
who knows zero about dog tricks,
we were talking about our dogs, and i told him,
"My dog likes beer. Ey, Buddy, wanna beer?"
BARK!
and of course, my bro thought that was amazing, and said, "oh, he will just bark whenever you talk to him. Ask Buddy if he wants a sandwhich."
"Ey Buddy, wanna sandwhich?"
blank stare from Buddy.
My bro says, "Ask him again about the beer.."
"Ey, Buddy, wanna beer?"
BARK!!
I turned to my bro, "See? the dog likes beer..."
ha ha!! true story.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
btw, i never give my dog beer.
and i myself never drink beer, either (wine, yes! beer, no)
but, my guy does like beer,
and so my guy thinks this is great trick to show his friends,
is why i used THAT cue, is for my guy to use.
but, ppl will have MORE FUN with the "speak" cue,
IF they use a humorous cue,:ROFLMAO: to make it appear the dog is answering some question.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i've also trained my dog to BARK! when i look at him and raise my eyebrows.
this comes in VERY handy, to get him to bark at anything i want him to, like OTHER questions, or card tricks, etc etc.
however, doing this, made me aware of how many times a day i do raise my eyebrows....:ROFLMAO:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Mud and Z are not vocal at all, haven't found anything at all whatsoever that gets them to bark. Very quiet dogs. Gypsy, on the other hand, is a talker!! I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet, but she is going to learn to bark loud and soft.
A friend of mine had a Shiba Inu who she taught to, "Say hi!" (normal bark) and "Shhh" (quiet bark). It was adorable, really loved this trick. I think I can accomplish this with Gypsy, but haven't tried it just yet.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, Shibas and huskies do seem to have a wider repretoire of verbal noises, so many Shibas on youtube, "saying" things.
like this one, (the SOUND of this video, gets MY dog soo so excited)........soon as i post this, my dog WILL be right here beside me, looking around for that dog:ROFLMAO:, ha ha!!
I can't get Buddy to say "i love you" but, i CAN get Buddy to howl :whistle: very soulfully on cue.
http://youtu.be/qXo3NFqkaRM

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Gypsy is funny, if I am just a few minutes late on her feeding schedule, she makes a big fuss about it. She almost has a hound-like baying, very throaty. It's hilarious. Definitely want to teach this on cue!!
Mishka the Husky has a ton of talking videos, so cute! LOL
Sorry for the hijacking but this is hilarious! ROFL! :ROFLMAO:
It wouldn't let me embed the video for some reason. :cry:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
TOO FUNNY about Gypsy, hilarious!
I used youtube, and a tv show,
with dogs howling,
to trigger and then "capture" Buddy howling. Cuz i adore funny cues, i ask, "Buddy, sing the blues?"
and he belts it out with all his lil heart, so cute.
Buddy soflty whines whenever he sees a person, or a dog,
that he reeeally loves. :)
He does this if he sees the dog or person out the window, too!
it's like "heeee, heeeee, heeeee" real soft. so cute.
On a walk, if we see a dog coming along, and Buddy says, "heeee, heeee, heeee" i KNOW buddy likes that dog.:love:
besides famous Mishka,
there are tons and tons of other shibas, and other huskies, (as well as some other breeds, too)
all of them "talking" like Mishka does.
Tx, do you think Shibas and Huskies just have wider range, of verbal noises,
or do you think most any dog can learn to talk like that?
i should try a lil more to get Buddy to "talk"

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I'm not really sure. O_o I've never had a vocal dog before; Gypsy's the first. Just from the dogs I've met, the majority of the talkers were Husky/Malamute/Shiba/etc types. But I have known a couple of Border Collies and a Shepherd/Rottie mix that were big time talkers too.
The Bichon I grew up with was a little bit of a talker, he said, "I love you." My Chihuahua says "I want my momma!" when he's aggravated, lol. And I knew a couple of Poodles too that were talkers.
Oh, and there's Shakti the Shiloh Shepherd whose owner is a member here. :) She's been working on teaching her various phrases and is doing quite well!
So I guess, any dog could learn to talk like that if they are talkers already....??? But if they aren't talkers already....it'd be really, really hard.

running_dog

Honored Member
Greyhounds and greyhound crosses are also very vocal. They have a an astonishing range of groans and moans as well as the usual whines, whinges, barks and growls of other breeds, they readily "reply" with a long string of vocalisations to their owners. Even Zac (1/4 greyhound) has been known to utter a very convincing "Hello" when people arrive at the house. I've not been able to capture it yet... but that reflects my ineptitude not his aptitude.

Oh yes I forgot, Zac will make ANY noise in the house rather than bark. He'll give a nice deep bark first time outside but indoors we have to work through a whole range of whinges and moans before he gives the most apologetic yap.

karleee

Experienced Member
Using speak,i taught dazzle to count,to people who don't know much about dogs,they think its amazing...but all you do is hold up as many fingers as you want your dog to "count" and when he hits that number you change your postiure,say good ect,and the dog thinks "oh,i have to stop now" and people are like "OMG,how does your dog do that!?" :p

mewzard

Experienced Member
LOL - i can't get Oka to bark with out puting her on the other side of a fence when dogs are having a real good play session the other side - she simply will not bark!! She's done it maybe 10 times in 15months!!
I want to capture some of her other noises though, she grumbles and whines, short howls (not the big awoooooooh noise), she natters all over the place but only when she thinks there is a point to it!
Nice trick guide though Karlee