How To House Train A Dog Fast?

Sheral Lynn

Hello all,

As with anything you teach a dog, it takes time and patience to house train him. House training a dog fast is similar to house training a puppy. So any idea that how to train dog fast, please share with me.

Thanks a lot!
Sheral Lynn

Dogster

Honored Member
Great advice Mutt!!!:)

Make sure not to punish your puppy if he has an accident in the house. Reward heavily when he goes to the bathroom outside. Here is a kikopup video on how to potty train:

CrisM

Kikopup is fantastic!

There's only one thing I'd add. I'm helping to house train my brother's 9-week-old puppy now, and on the days that I'm puppy-sitting while both of his parents are at work, I actually have an alarm set to go off every hour. So we go out and try to potty even if he hasn't eaten, had anything major to drink, just gotten done playing, or just woken up from a nap, etc. If he is sleeping, I ignore the alarm and wait until he wakes up and then we go out right away.

My routine is pretty much Kikopup's and looks like this: I jingle a set of bells on the way out of the door (my brother wants his dog to alert him when he needs to go), stand in the same place with a leash on him so that he doesn't get to play around until he's done his business, say "Go Potty" so that it becomes a command he understands, and praise him like it's the best thing he's ever done when he does go. Because we're heading out the door every hour, he doesn't always have to go, but the chances of him having an accident are pretty low.

If he doesn't have to go after about 5-10 minutes and I think he should soon because he's just had a lot to eat or drink, we come back inside and I will either hold him in my lap or put him in his crate for about 1o minutes and then we'll head back out to try again.

I did that with Valentine and she was potty trained pretty quickly. Good luck!

maggie/the/dog

when we first adopted maggie on july fourth(4th of July!) she wasn't house trained either. we bought the AKC indoors potty kit, it worked like magic! if you don't want to spend a lot of money, the other 3 dogs we adopted, we would bring them to the same spot in the yard at the same time of day, every day until they learned not to poop on the floor. we would also keep them gated up in a tiled area of our house so it would be easier to clean up.;)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
And do keep in mind that every dog is different - some may catch on very quickly, while some may take longer, depending on age, circumstances, all the humans being consistent, etc. There are just no "fast" ways to guarantee anything in dog training, you're dealing with a living, breathing, thinking being. Just be patient, consistent, and up-beat - lots of rewards when your dog does what you want him/her to do (and where).

Linda A

Experienced Member
Another thing to think about...if you take your dog out to potty and then go straight back into the house, the next time you go out may take longer. Dogs like to sniff around. Let them. After they do their business play with them outside for a few minutes. They will quickly associate the play as the reward for getting their business done. I have found that my dogs potty very quickly and then want to play. I only have to be outside in the cold for say five minutes. Otherwise they could sniff around for ten minutes first.