How to embed a video

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I have created this simple step-by-step tutorial which will teach you how to embed your videos into the forum. When a video a embeded, a small icon previewing the video is created and viewers are able to watch it without having to leave the Academy.

Note: This will work will all the major video hosting providers such as YouTube and Google Video. It may be incompatible with other hosting providers.

Step 1: Create a message with your video url.

Step 2: Highlight the url of your video.

Step 3: Find the blue M button. Click on it.

Step 4: Look if your url has the tags [ MEDIA ] around it.

Step 5: Preview your post.

l_l_a

sometimes when I re-visit threads that had video embeded in them successfully, now they show instead [media]the url[/media], and it is not a link anymore....??

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think that would be because the user has removed the video, or that he has changed his youtube options so that other people cannot embed his videos.

If you give me a direct link to the thread I can check it out. :)

l_l_a

One example is in the January training challenge final-entry thread. On the first page, your video as well as Collie Man's video and Hockey's video are not embedded anymore. But Topbark's still is, and mine still is.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it seems I messed up something last night. I'll look into it. :(

Edit:

OK I fixed it! Jean to the rescue!!! :)

posie

how do you put your video on to youtube ? I read the thing about if it is allready on you tube what to do
from maddie

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Update:

The script used to embed the videos has been updated. You can now simply paste your youtube video url and it will automatically embed it into your post.

Note: When inserting your youtube link, make sure that you remove any excess code from the link.

Example:

The code below:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDxKNAqWnaA&eurl=http://www.someurl.com/wohoo.html

Should actually be:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDxKNAqWnaA

Notice how I removed the extra stuff after the letter &.

The MEDIA tags will still be compatible with your videos, so if it is not working you can also insert the tags as explained above.