How often do you bathe your dog?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I’m curious as to how often all of you bathe your dog. I’m sure there will be a great varying degree in the answers – especially since some dog breeds don’t have undercoats and smell after just a few weeks.

By having myself a Siberian Husky, I’m unfortunate with the hair all over the house but very fortunate they I can get away with bathing her every 4-6 months. I do groom her lots more often which usually takes care of her fur and her nails.

jjwr

Depends on which dog, my short coated dog (Jarrah kelpiexBC) I only bath about once every 3 or 4 months but my long coated dogs (Jonty, Sheltie & Whisper BC) I do on average every 2-3 weeks.

When I was showing Jonty I used to bath every week - he gets absolutely FILTHY!! :dogmad:(Jonty after he's been bathed LOL).

hockey390

I tend to bathe about every 2-3 weeks, but it often varies. I give my golden a bathe almost every time she plays in any kind of mud/really wet conditions. This mostly applies to field training. If she weren't to get muddy, I would say once a month to keep her coat clean.

l_l_a

Mine gets brushed several times a week (daily if during his shedding season) but bathed only when he stinks! German shepherds have a coarse outercoat that is like Teflon - dirt automatically falls off it. but in reality it evens out to about once every 6 months.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
About once a month at the moment, but not because she's dirty.

As she's still young, we want to make sure that she gets used to being bathed, and so the more we can do it, the better. Once she reaches a year, we'll make it once every three months or so, and then keep reviewing it.

bipa

I only give my dogs a proper bath when they are stinky. Most dogs shouldn't be bathed too often because they could end up with skin problems. Even when using special dog shampoo with moisturizers, too frequent bathing could end up with dry, itching skin. If my dogs are simply muddy, then they get a rinse using lukewarm water without any shampoo. A good brushing followed by a rinse is usually good enough to get them clean again.

marieke

I gave Guus a bath a couple of times, mainly to make him get used to it so he won't make a fuzz about it when he's older.

xsara

I only bathe Xsara when she rolls on something smelly. Her coat is very short so it's easy to maintain it clean by brushing her regularly.

l_l_a

people tend to think my dog is a female. I don't know why. Maybe it's because he's white color, or maybe because he has finer bone structure especially around the head. Anyway, when he was a puppy and I would take him to the groomers they would always return him to me with a pink bow round his neck.

hockey390

l_l_a;2791 said:
people tend to think my dog is a female. I don't know why. Maybe it's because he's white color, or maybe because he has finer bone structure especially around the head. Anyway, when he was a puppy and I would take him to the groomers they would always return him to me with a pink bow round his neck.
You'd think it would be obvious to someone that was grooming him? :dogblink:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I try to bathe mine once a month, or more as needed. Sometimes I let them slide for a while, because I'm either busy or the dog isn't really "dirty." They get brushed frequently.

storm22

Experienced Member
i bath my dog about once a month with flea shampoo and stuff only because hes in and out of creaks and rivers or down at the beach so he gets kinda smelly after a while but in hot hot days i usually give him a hose to get the sweat off its quite funny storm usually stands by the horses waiting for his hose

lurchergirl

I haven't voted as it varies widely between our dogs.

Pyrenees: never (he has had one medicated shampoo in 5 years...)

Lurchers: whenever necessary, e.g. they have rolled in something disgusting or are particular muddy

ACS: once a week to keep his hair in good condition. He does however have special show dog shampoos, conditioners and grooming sprays to make sure that skin and hair stay healthy.

yoyopoodle

It used to be every 1-3 weeks depending on our show schedule, but now that it's short it doesn't really matter... I do him when it's time for a haircut, usually every 4-8 weeks. I miss the long hours of grooming, but I'm also glad to not *have* to keep-up with it :)