How can I teach a dog to play?

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Well, I didn't really care about playing with my dog, until I made the tug toy that Jean said.
I tried to play with a ball with her, but it took me half a year, to get her to go after it, but she still doesn't really care about it.
Tugging only worked out with Pedigee Denta Stix.... :LOL:

I think playing would do good to her. I think she wouldn't be that afraid of everything.
This is the thing that I think came from her previous owner, she was beaten very hard. I bet this is why she doesn't play with anything, she is afraid of it.
(Did this second part make sense?:msnunsure:)

The point of the whole post is that can I teach her to play?

kbox8

how is she with other dogs? I know we have these doggie play groups that maybe would inspire playing??? I don't know

szecsuani

Experienced Member
kbox8;3337 said:
how is she with other dogs? I know we have these doggie play groups that maybe would inspire playing??? I don't know
Well, she has a little problem with male dogs, becouse they can't get out of her butt, and it is really annoying her. (I don't know why they do it...)
But she does really well with female dogs.

yoyopoodle

Life is much more fun for everyone when they know how to play :)

If you clicker train her, you can click for any interaction with the toy... if she's not too scared, you can dangle it in the air (at her eye level) a couple of feet away and encourage her to 'get it', or wiggle it on the floor. Use a quiet, but excited and happy voice, with a little suspension tossed in.
Some people say that letting a dog win at tug-of-war may increase aggression - not neccesarily, but it can build confidence... in your case letting her win most of the time would be a good idea. Try to give a gentle pull, but let go before she drops it - then encourage her to bring it back to you.
Encourage any interaction - some dogs like to play with their paws...

If she is really scared, you can put it next to her food at meal times and don't move it around much... just let her get used to it. If it helps, you can let her eat food off of it, or 'brush' her with it.

She's more likely to take it in her mouth if the texture is soft/loose, rather than hard and stiff.

Good luck!

marieke

Would she go after a ball if you'd attach a cookie on it? Just start by roling it not too far. I know Guus will go after anything that is food. Or maybe just through a cookie and reward her for going after it.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
yoyopoodle: Thanks, I think I'll try that. I think tugging would really do good to her, especially for her confidence. I'll try what you said.:msnwink:
Marieke: She would do anything for food... :msngrin: