How Can I Get Them To Stop?

amkeiana

I have two German shepherds and at night, they like to jump around and they always have to break one or two flower pots. how can i show them this is wrong and get them to stop? please help :/

Hi amkeiana... same questions as above, but assuming they are getting enough physical/mental stimulation every day... have you taught them a "settle"? ...a default lay down/relax when they are on-leash and you are ignoring them? Do you reinforce for calm behaviors randomly throughout the day? (If not, start surprising them with a treat when they are laying calmly on their own throughout the whole day)... If you have done these two things, then you can put them on leash and work on "settle" for awhile before bed. Another idea is to train different behaviors around this time... Perhaps this exact time of night could be a daily trick training session? If you do that then I would start the session right BEFORE they start acting crazy. Just some ideas :)

amkeiana

they are 7 months old and we mostly play from 5-6 pm then they have their dinner
walks are not that often
how do i teach them a "settle"?
so to calm them, i should increase their daily activity?
when i ask them to do something, they don't really listen...they just jump all over me...how can i train them at this time?

southerngirl

Honored Member
they are 7 months old and we mostly play from 5-6 pm then they have their dinner
walks are not that often
how do i teach them a "settle"?
so to calm them, i should increase their daily activity?
when i ask them to do something, they don't really listen...they just jump all over me...how can i train them at this time?
A puppy that is not exercised enough can be annoying, destructive, crave for attention, so more exercise probably would make a bit of a difference. You should walk the dogs at least once a day for about 45 minutes and if that is too long for the pups try 30 minuets.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4(these are some puppy videos you may find helpful)

amkeiana

A puppy that is not exercised enough can be annoying, destructive, crave for attention, so more exercise probably would make a bit of a difference. You should walk the dogs at least once a day for about 45 minutes and if that is too long for the pups try 30 minuets.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4(these are some puppy videos you may find helpful)
Thanks...i'll let you know of the outcome :D

brody_smom

Experienced Member
We adopted our dog, Brody, when he was 7 months old. He did a lot of jumping up and putting his mouth on my arms. He would also get a little crazy in the evenings, running around in the house very quickly and making growly sounds. It was a little scary to watch, but he wasn't being aggressive. He was just burning off extra energy. Sometimes people call this "the zoomies", which I think is very accurate. Since I started taking Brody out for regular sessions of fetch, even 20-30 minutes where he can run at top speed and get good and tired, he hasn't done this very much at all.

To stop your pups from jumping all over you, try to ignore them. When they jump on you, stand up and fold your arms across your chest and turn your back on them. Sometimes you might have to walk to face into a corner so they won't jump on your front. Even if they jump on your back, don't look at them or speak to them. This is very important. Wait until they are quiet and all four feet are on the ground, even if it is just for a few seconds, then turn and praise them. They will learn that they won't get your attention by jumping up on you, but only by sitting or standing quietly. It takes a little while, but it does work. When I did this with Brody, he would jump up on my back and nip at my arms or bite my hair and pull on it, but I just waited until he sat down before I turned around or spoke to him. It took a couple of weeks of doing this every time. It even seemed to get worse before he eventually stopped for good. This is common and is known as an extinction burst, where the dog knows he is going to quit doing something, so he does it as much as he can before he gives it up forever.
The videos that Danielle posted are excellent. The trainer is Emily Larlham, and her YouTube account is called kikopup. There are many great videos that show how to train your dogs to do all kinds of good things, as well as helping them learn not to do the bad things. The methods she uses are very gentle and quite easy to learn.

blacknym

Experienced Member
I think if you keep that up you will see a difference. I think you should also teach them fetch as that will get them running and a great excersie. Remember as they get older they will need more stimulation and physical activity. ;) GSDs are working dogs and NEED the activity and training. Id start them in rally or some type of obedience sport. :D

MaryK

Honored Member
Everyone has given you very good advice. GSD's are, as blacknym says, a working dog and do need both mental and physical stimulation. I've had them all my life, have a cross BC one now, he goes for a long walk every day, spends loads of time playing football/soccer, has long trick training sessions (and would train more but I do run out of time:)). These dogs actually LOVE to work and train, so I would as suggested above by blacknym start them in a Positive Reinforcement Training Program or rally, fly ball (though here they must be a year old for fly ball and know basic obedience) anything which gives them mental and physical stimulation.

And as Brody's Mom has said, turn your back and ignore unwanted behavior, they do get it, though may well get worse at first, then realize you're not giving in and learn sit. Be sure always to click/treat and praise when they're doing the right thing, and also when they're just laying down quietly.

Dlilly

Honored Member
You can also try leaving them in a exercise pen or large crate at night as a last resort.