HOT DOGS--keeping dogs COOL in the summer

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"I just hope George learns as fast and as enthusiastic as Buddy!!! "//

Well, i don't know if buddy is one of the fastest learners here, but, he is definitely one of the most enthusiastic!:ROFLMAO: buddy LOVES to see that clicker come out, a whole lotta tail waggin going on, just about quivers with glee to go have a lesson!!:LOL:
George'sDad, i just can not wait to hear your reports of how George takes to clicker training and lessons!! do keep us posted on that!! You can even start your very own thread, "George's Thread" or "Things George is Working on" or whatever!

btw, i love that your facility is involved in the "Inmates Training Rescue Dogs" program or whatever it is called, it's great for the dogs in need of some human contact and training and rehab and love,
and stats show, the inmates who DO participate in learning how to help rehab dogs, do better than inmates who don't. Its a WIN-WIN.

Dogster

Honored Member
//"I just hope George learns as fast and as enthusiastic as Buddy!!! "//

Well, i don't know if buddy is one of the fastest learners here, but, he is definitely one of the most enthusiastic!:ROFLMAO: buddy LOVES to see that clicker come out, a whole lotta tail waggin going on, just about quivers with glee to go have a lesson!!:LOL:
I think Shivon likes trick-training, but she's not at all enthusiastic about it.:cautious:She learns pretty fast, but she never wags her tail...:rolleyes: I guess some dogs are just harder to please than others...:rolleyes: My 'lil princess...:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

GEORGE'SDAD

I think I still need to work on more click=treat with him...I don't think he quite understands that yet. But Max figured it out, now wherever he is, if he hears the "click", he comes running full-speed, skids to a stop and sits immediately waiting for a treat. My wife says I created a monster because every time he hears the slightest clicking noise, his ears perk up and he starts looking for me!:rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
to George'sdad, so if you have Max in a room by himself, and no George around,
if you click, no response from Max?
Max does not look to you for a treat?:eek:
See, most dogs "get that" right off, right away,
so i am wondering, if Max hears click, and knows George will just run and get treat, so why bother or something.
My sisters dogs, the one dog is so pushy/dominant, that to do any training, we have to separate out the more retiring dog away from the "It's all About Me" dog, to get the quieter dog to even try.:ROFLMAO: Years and years of pushy dog pushing up front, have made Quieter Dog give up, UNTIL we remove Pushy dog.
just wondering if THAT is what Max is doing,(?) is letting George reply for him,
cuz 95% of dogs "get" the click = treat RIGHT away, i do mean RIGHT away....

GEORGE'SDAD

I thinkg George just lost interest in the clicker. Max LOVES it!!! even when I have George by himself, he is just interested in the treat. I'm wondering if i get a louder clicker, if that will help. I think the app on my phone is too quiet fo George. He seems to respond better to louder noises.

Evie

Experienced Member
I thinkg George just lost interest in the clicker. Max LOVES it!!! even when I have George by himself, he is just interested in the treat. I'm wondering if i get a louder clicker, if that will help. I think the app on my phone is too quiet fo George. He seems to respond better to louder noises.

I tried to initially teach Evie about clickers using the app on my phone but she never got the hang of it either. The moment I bought a real clicker, she understood instantly. I dont think the phone was loud enough for her :p

GEORGE'SDAD

ok,l then i will go get an actual clicker this week while i am running errands. I need to apply for a new job. The prison isn't making me enough money. I found an air national guard recruiter job here in idaho that I am applying for. Since I am an E-5 in the guard, it would be a BIG pay raise for me!!!

Evie

Experienced Member
On the plus side, a clicker shouldn't cost you more than like $2-3 :p

My clicker looks like this :

which is a lot louder than my sister's clicker which was one of these:

Sorry about the giant pictures.

Anyway, which ever type you go for, shouldnt really be a problem because I found both were much louder and clearer than the app :p

GEORGE'SDAD

i'll go to petsmart or something this week!!! I love the idea of clicker training! Max has responded to it very well! It has made his command responses much sharper because he now knows EXACTLY what i want when i give the command!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"It has made his command responses much sharper because he now knows EXACTLY what i want when i give the command!!!"//

YESSSSsss!! It is a very visible difference in how well the dog understand exactly what you want, isn't it!!?? :D Box clickers are only about a dollar, btw.

here is a bargain, like 5 clickers for $2, from Ebay, and recommended by Pawtential,
read reply #26 on this thread where various members discuss their favorite types of clickers:
(some ppl think that box clicker is a bit TOO loud, unless you add bit of tape to it, now and then, for various tricks, it's almost impossible to avoid clicking right by dogs ears when using one hand to lure dog into position) Read reply #26 here:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/fun-question.4921/page-2