Horgan Harness

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I was reading Modern Dog magazine today and came across the horgan Harness. Its suppose to be a no pull harness, but it looks ridicules to me, and kinda uncomfortable for the dogs. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it? What are your opinions of it?

http://www.horganharness.com/

I'm not interested in buying it. I just find it so odd looking and am curious to know if it works.

Honored Member
It looks rather silly. I would expect to be laughed at if I put that on my dog. I agree that it looks uncomfortable for the dog too, even when just walking normally.

I couldn't watch the video with the sound but it looks like the harness puts pressure on the back of the dogs legs to stop them pulling. If the dog kept pulling it would end up sitting because the harness pulls the back legs forward under the dogs body so that it cannot walk while pulling.I guess it sort of disables the back legs.
In the comparison video at the bottom of the page the dog does not look happy when it tries to pull, it looks reluctant to even walk after it has experienced the harness.

I would not use this harness on a dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree, the poor dogs look like they cannot walk properly in that harness. I know with my older boy Zeus, I don't use the leg straps on his coat even though they fit perfectly, as he had trouble getting into the car when I did use them and also found it hard to pee 'boy style', plus he even walked a little uncomfortably, and they were not attached to a harness!

No way would I use that harness.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it odd. I read some reviews where people said it worked perfect, but when I watched the video I was like 'It just looks so uncomfortable.' I couldn't get through the whole video without laughing. I prefer the Gentle Leader harness.

Anneke

Honored Member
It looks uncomfortable and I feel that if the dog would suddenly jump forward, he would crash into the ground, because his hindlegs are pulled from under him.
And another thing I truely dislike is the fact that they show a three year old walking the dog... I just cannot aprove something like that. A three year old shouldn't be in control of a dog.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
It looks uncomfortable and I feel that if the dog would suddenly jump forward, he would crash into the ground, because his hindlegs are pulled from under him.
And another thing I truely dislike is the fact that they show a three year old walking the dog... I just cannot aprove something like that. A three year old shouldn't be in control of a dog.
I never thought of that! Good point!(y) I would never trust any of my nieces to walk Remi, with a no pull harness or not. Its irresponsible and asking for your dog to get and way and harm himself.

Dogster

Honored Member
It looks uncomfortable... The dogs seem to walk differently when they wear the harness, to me it looks like the harness is putting strain on their back legs. I don't think it works as well as they show it on the video...

I wouldn't buy it, or reccommend it to anyone.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
I guess I'd have to see it in person to make a real decision about what I think of it. I don't like to be too quick to judge things I don't have personal experience with.

In the video, it does like it may limit the range of motion in the dog's hind legs. If that's true, then I would worry about musculo-skeletal problems with long term use.

I'm not crazy about the 3 year old walking the dog either. I'm surprised they put that in their video anyway... sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen IMHO.

Of course I'm no expert either. My opinion is only that... my opinion.

MaryK

Honored Member
Marketing ploy I think why they used a three year old child. Not a good one from my point of view as no three year old should be in charge of a dog, it's not fair to anyone, and setting up the dog for a possibly nasty experience.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
Setting the child up for a possibly terrible experience too :( I think the worst part is thinking how many people run out to buy this thinking its a miracle tool, and bring it home, then think its great, and try to show off by having a toddler walk their dog... who mind you hasn't been trained so doesn't understand what the heck this thing is on them, or that what they are doing because of it is "walking nicely on leash" ... and think its fun "just like in the commercial"

2SpoiledAussies

The child walking the dog is just a marketing tool. For dog people like us, we wouldn't trust a 3 year old with our dog, so we look down on this idea. But to the average person looking for a "miracle", they aren't dog people who are willing to put in training, so a 3 year old being able to walk the dog seems very appealing. So in the end, it will benefit their business. Even though it is a terrible idea that might end in tragic accidents.