Holly Seems To Have An Allergy

Honored Member
So, Holly seems to be allergic to worming pills :(

The first time we wormed her (not long after we got her, so at the start of the year) she vomited (only once), but we thought maybe she just ate something else that made her sick (she does eat a lot of rubbish) and it was just a coincidence.

So last night we wormed her (she eats a lot of cat, chicken and horse poop :sick: so she really did need wormed). She was sick for the rest of the evening. Non-stop vomiting until all that was left was water. She looked to sad, she just sat in the corner looking sick and shivering :(. Poor puppy.
The only times she has ever vomited was after being wormed so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence now.

She's alright today. I tried to give her just a small breakfast of chicken. But she was hungry and demanded more :rolleyes: so she seems completely recovered.

So how do I figure out what part of medication she is allergic to so we can avoid this?

She also reacted to the pain killers she had after her speying surgery (I think it was called Fentenol or something) it was a patch bandaged to her leg and we had to have it removed because it made her all hyper and crazy, she couldn't sleep or relax at all, she just ran around constantly (the vet said she should be sleepy after the surgery and if anything the drug should also make her more doppy, but it did the opposite for Holly. The vet really didn't want to remove it at first because she said little dogs need the painkiller, but it was doing more harm than good) and that was the day after surgey, we thought she was going to pop her stitches or something. But she was fine once we got the patch removed and she calmed down.

I don't really know about allergies in dogs, so is it common for dogs to have drug allergies? and are these two things (Fentenol and worming pill) common? and are there any other drugs that we should avoid as likely to also make her sick?

Anneke

Honored Member
Well it is not common for dogs to be allergic to medication, but it happens. Just like with humans. Some people are allergic to penicillin.
Your vet should be able to give you a different worming pill or paste.
I have heard of animals getting sick after being dewormed.
My parents had a cat that would vomit and get foam around the mouth after being dewormed. The vet gave them a different type(it was a tasty paste) and he wasn't as bothered by that.

Honored Member
Yeah, we are going to get different stuff.
The one we used was from the vet but we might have to get the stuff that goes on the animals back (we use that for one of our cats because it is impossible to get pills into him) it just costs more.

I'm mainly concerned that she has shown a reaction to two different medications now so was wondering if there are other meds that we should be careful about in the future if she is going to be sensitive about meds.

I think we will have to ask the vet if there is anything the same in the Fentenol and the worming pill.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//" So how do I figure out what part of medication she is allergic to so we can avoid this? "//

yeah, discuss this with your vet. It could be an allergy, it could be just wrong dose,? or a side effect of the drug. but it seems your suspicion that your dog is NOT tolerating that drug well is a darn good guess! Good detective work there, 64817!!
The hyperactive reaction to the pain med does not sound like an allergy, imo, but a side effect.

Besides the threat of worms from horse-poop, horses receive massive doses of worm drugs, and other drugs, which your small dog will ingest as well.

Also, my dog was a poop-eater when i first got him.:oops::sick: OH was he ever. :rolleyes: He was a regular poop-connoisseur....:censored:
Bunny poop and deer poop were his favorites, but he would also eat dog poop, and even eat his very own poop, too, he loved it.......it wasn't as hard as you'd think to teach him he had to "leave it" with any and all poops.:rolleyes: It really wasnt', it took a week or two of daily efforts on this, and much vigiliance on my part during that time to prevent all poop-eating while he was in training,
but, it was time well spent, and he is totally trustable to never ever eat any poop ever now, even if he is by himself. (i've tested this by watching him out the window, he never eats poop now).

Let me know if you want to know how to teach your dog to not eat poop, it's not as impossible as you might think.
but yeah, and GOOD ON YOU for advocating for your dog, when you knew that pain med was messing up your dog, and stopped it, even though your vet insisted to leave the pain patch on the dog.
as a nurse, i can vouch, sometimes, the drug side effects can be worse than the original problem we were trying to solve...:rolleyes: at least for humans anyway..

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, i only give my dog worming meds IF his stools test positive for worms.
It costs a bit more this way, as i have to pay for both the stool test, (but, it's only about $12)
and then the drug as well,
but, most years, my dog is negative for worms!!:D (especially since i trained him to stop eating poop) I used to test twice a year, but, now, since he is almost always negative, i have cut it back to only once a year testing. It's been a few years now, since buddy ever had to have drugs for worms.

just wondering if you even have the vet test Holly's stools prior to giving the drugs, or do you just guess "Well, Holly probably has worms by now, time to deworm her."
?

Honored Member
just wondering if you even have the vet test Holly's stools prior to giving the drugs, or do you just guess "Well, Holly probably has worms by now, time to deworm her."
?
Yeah, we just guess she must have worms by now, we do that with the cats too (especially the cat that catches and eats a mouse or rat most weeks). I don't know if you can even just ask for the vet to check stools for worms here or if they would just say there is no point and to just deworm the animal.
None of our pets have ever had any sort of reaction or side-effect from worm pills, or from any other medication.

She only eats a little bit of horse poop on the way to obedience class because there is sometimes some on the dirt road and she sometimes gets a mouthful before I can stop her. She gets the cat poop from the backyard (so it is from our cats) and only gets chicken poop if someone leaves the gate to the chicken part of the garden open (so only once every couple of weeks or so). She doesn't eat dog poop but she will pick up random bits of rubbish while on walks (I make her drop it though) but sometimes when off-leash she will randomly start chewing while running around because she has found something and decided to eat it.

I'm not too worried about the poop eating at the moment because Paris ate chicken poop when we first got the chickens and then stopped after a while (she also are the chicken food- including the grit) and she ate cat poop as a puppy and grew out of it.
At least Holly doesn't eat random dog poop and the cat poop is from our cats which we know are healthy.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"I don't know if you can even just ask for the vet to check stools for worms here "//

I can't imagine why a vet would refuse to test your dogs' stools, especially since this happens:

//" So last night we wormed her (she eats a lot of cat, chicken and horse poop :sick: so she really did need wormed). She was sick for the rest of the evening. Non-stop vomiting until all that was left was water. She looked to sad, she just sat in the corner looking sick and shivering :(. Poor puppy.
The only times she has ever vomited was after being wormed so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence now."//

If your vet refuses to test a dogs stool (takes about 5 minutes)
get a new vet.

since Holly does seem to have problems with worm meds, (sick, vomitting, etc)

maybe next time, have vet test her stools prior to de-worming her. I was STUNNED how very infrequently my dog gets worms, since he never gets de-worm pills.

I know most ppl just guess "my dog must have worms":rolleyes:
and just give drugs to dog,:eek:
but, it might be that not all of these dogs even need drugs. Especially since your dog got soo so sick, i'd just test the stool first.

//"I'm not too worried about the poop eating at the moment because Paris ate chicken poop when we first got the chickens and then stopped after a while ("//

I don't think it's likely your dog will "outgrow" poop-eating. There are elderly dogs out there, who still eat poop, and have eaten poop their entire lives. Paris has very poor appetite now, due to poor health, right? so that might be part of reason she eats less poop, or no poop, but who knows. You could just wait to see if your dog decides he won't eat poop anymore.....but i don't think your dog will stop eating poop til you train him to stop eating poop...but who knows.

It's not hard to train a dog to not eat poop.

but, if your dog eating poop does not bother you, so be it. It's your dog.