Holly - Pug X

Honored Member
Name: Holly
Titles: RN (Rally-O Novice)
DOB: 27/9/2011
We got her 2 days before christmas in 2011
Breed: ½ Pug, ¼ Bichon, ¼ Fox Terrier
Sex: Female (speyed)
Size: 6.35kg (approx 14lbs), about 30cm at the shoulders (will get an official measurement soon for agility)
Nicknames: Horrible, Sweetie, Toad, Holly-Dolly, Scruff, Miss Destruct-o, Monkey.
Favourite food: FOOD (she hasn't met a food that she doesn't like)
Favourite things to do: Eat, chew, train, run around off-leash, lie in the sun, be groomed, be annoying ;)

Activities:
Holly goes to agility (Tuesdays) and obedience (Saturdays) class every week.

Bad Habits:
Destroying her toys much much faster than she should (thankfully she mainly only destroys her own things).
Jumping on my desk to get attention.
Bouncing off the rubbish bin (we got a tall one so she can’t get into it so she makes it bounce off the wall when she’s frustrated).
Stealing things (especially tea towels off the bench).
Sometimes digging in the backyard (and flower pots)

Problems:
She could steal things less often and not be naughty when she wants attention, but it isn’t really a problem :whistle: :LOL: .
She doesn’t like the car, but again, it is isn’t really a problem because all she does is lie down and sulk :sleep: .

Temperament:
Holly is pretty good. She has excellent social skills with other dogs (she has a lot of friends – nearly every time we go to the park one of her friends is there) unless there is too many big dogs playing rough, then she is happy to stand next to me and watch them play (for her own safety). She’s good with strange people and children (not too friendly but definitely not stand-offish, I think her behaviour in this regard is close to ideal). Odd sights and sounds do not concern her (eg, someone was practicing the bagpipes at the park the other day and Holly didn’t even blink). I’ve never seen her growl or snap at anything or anyone. Overall she seems to have a pretty good even temperament.

Photos:

Tricks and stuff! (I think I remembered them all :X3: ):

1. Sit (from stand/moving and down etc)
2. Down (from sit and stand/moving)
3. Stand (from sit and down)
4. Stay (she is never called out of a stay)
5. Wait (can be released from at a distance, eg., to get dinner, at agility)
6. Come (most of the time)
7. Loose leash walking
8. Stop before crossing the road (standing – I don’t make her sit)
9. Get it (food etc, also if I drop some food and tap next to it with my foot then Holly will clean it up for me)
10. Let’s go (stop sniffing and continue walking)
11. Go play (released at park to play with other dogs)
12. Bed (get into crate)
13. Out (get back out the dog door and go to the toilet – sometimes have to use this at night/when raining/when cold)
14. Heelwork (including side step, normal left/right turn and backwards)
15. Fancy “around” heelwork left about turn
16. Back-up (walk backwards)
17. Leave it
18. Bring it here (unless she is being naughty)
19. Off (object, furniture etc)
20. Shake paw
21. Other paw
22. Wave
23. High 5
24. High 10
25. Target disk with paw
26. Target different disk with nose
27. Target hand with nose
28. Roll over
29. Roll other way
30. Spin (counter clockwise)
31. Twirl (clockwise)
32. Beg (sit pretty)
33. Play dead (lie on side)
34. Bow
35. Get in a box
36. Crawl (although this could be better)
37. Jump over leg (“over” seems to be transferable to most objects)
38. Paws up (put front paws on something)
39. Bounce (straight up in air)
40. Figure eights around my legs
41. Leg weave (she is awesome at this, I barely have to adjust the way I walk to accommodate her)
42. Cop-cop (forward and backwards)
43. Say your prayers
44. Jump through arms
45. Fetch (mini-) tennis ball
46. U-turn
47. Walk between my legs (backwards and forwards)
48. Elephant trick (used to teach left heelwork turn)
49. Skateboard
50. Roll herself in blanket
51. Agility – tunnel
52. Agility – normal jumps
53. Agility – tire jump
54. Agility – collapsed tunnel (she loves this)
55. Agility – dogwalk (with 2on2off contacts)
56. Agility – A-frame (with 2on2off contacts)
57. Obedience – send away
58. Obedience – front (formal present?)
59. Obedience - close (sit at my left side – from anywhere, especially from “front”)
60. Obedience - finish (walk from “front” to the right around behind me and sit in heel position (“close”)
61. Fly ball (run up to fly ball machine, hit it with paw, grab ball and bring it to me)
62. Play piano
63. Shut the fridge door
64. Shy (aka “cover your eyes”)
65. Agility - long jump (forgot about this one before)
66. Feet trick (two paws on each of my feet)
67. Agility - teeter totter (4 feet on contact)
68. Flick hoop up off ground and jump through it
67. Tall
68. Bubbles
69. Weave poles (12)
70. Put away toys

Working on:
Dig (need to transition to any surface – not just the towels I used to teach it - update: she's having trouble transitioning)
Cross paw (had a little breakthrough last session – I was starting to think her arms are too short for this trick - update: having trouble removing the target)

Planned next tricks (although I seem to hardly ever stick to my plan):
Speak (she’s barking a lot at the moment anyway)
Get in suitcase (maybe – if I can find a little one)

MaryK

Honored Member
Holly is one very cute and very smart little lady!:love: She's a good Ambassador for small dogs, proves they are smart, can be trained and her trick list WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:(y)

Honored Member
Holly is one very cute and very smart little lady!:love: She's a good Ambassador for small dogs, proves they are smart, can be trained and her trick list WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:(y)
Yeah, it's funny when I tell people I do all this stuff with my dog and then add that she is a Pug X, it's so funny they always say "crossed with what?" :D

I think it will be awesome if she gets some agility and obedience titles, I don't know if there are too many little dogs that get both.

MaryK

Honored Member
Yeah, it's funny when I tell people I do all this stuff with my dog and then add that she is a Pug X, it's so funny they always say "crossed with what?" :D

I think it will be awesome if she gets some agility and obedience titles, I don't know if there are too many little dogs that get both.
There are some small dogs but they're def in the minority! We only had two small dogs out of 60 + dogs all up who actually did agility and obedience, most stop at Level 1 obedience. Sure will be awesome! Way to go Holly!(y):D She'll look so cute too, can just see her flying around the course!:love:

Honored Member
Update: Holly learn't how to go over the teeter totter today!

We started with it low, Holly didn't even blink when it hit the ground (our trainer pointed it out because Holly was so unconcerned by it and it was her first time). So after a few goes with it low we increased the height. I don't think it's full height yet but Holly was not afraid of the noise or the movement, she did really well (she has done a lot of work on wobble boards before and thought the goal was to make them "BANG" so I didn't think she would worry about the teeter totter at all).

The trainer said that people don't usually bother to teach contacts for the dog on the teeter totter, some dogs just keep running and some crawl to the end (I thought it had to hit the ground before the dog got off, but the trainer said the judges never call people out on that if it's close-ish). I said I didn't want Holly to run off the end incase she hurt her back or legs, but I didn't need to worry because she naturally paused (standing) in the middle of the contact zone until it hit the ground (y) , even if I kept running. The trainer said Holly seemed to understand the teeter totter.

I'm very happy with her, very glad she doesn't want to jump off the end too :D

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations to Holly and yourself!!!!!!!!!:D(y) Holly really does seem to understand the teeter totter, my darling late Tiger Lily was just the same, whereas Zeus ran a mile rather than go on it. So happy for you! :D

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow, I didn't know that Holly knows so many tricks!!!!!:eek: Impressive!!!!:D She's absolutely adorable, love the pics!!!! Congrats on the teeter, by the way!!!:)

Honored Member
Wow, I didn't know that Holly knows so many tricks!!!!!:eek: Impressive!!!!:D She's absolutely adorable, love the pics!!!! Congrats on the teeter, by the way!!!:)
Thank you.
She is a pretty smart little dog :X3:
The problem that I'm having is I'm starting to forget to get her to practice some of her tricks so she hasn't done some for a while (eg, she hasn't been on her skateboard for over a month). I might have to get her to go through them all this weekend.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
WOW! Holly is an amazing little dog! You have done an incredible job with her so far. Just imagine what you can do in the future! (y)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Wow! She is a very smart pup! I love her trick list. Sounds like she is a really nice dog! I can see the pug now that you point it out but at first glance the terrier seems more obvious. Have you seen the trick challenge for 'limp', maybe you would want to try that one with her.