Holiday

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Mum came home from work and said someones recomended a good place to go on holiday next year somewhere we can hopefully take the dogs. They said that they encourage taking dogs. So we'll have to see. Plus its not far from a RSPB site which is great for me aswell. And apparently the chelets are opposite water so I think i'll need to get the dogs life vests if we go.

http://www.ardwellholidaychalets.co.uk/index.htm

southerngirl

Honored Member
That's awesome, I've always wanted to bring Missy on Vacation with me. Crossing my fingers that they get to go.

Anneke

Honored Member
We have been taking the dogs on holiday with us for a few years now and I won't have it any other way, anymore. I love it!
Looks like a great spot to have your vacation!!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Well we need a holiday lol but i don't feel comfortable putting Bella and Zara in Kennels whilst we go away not when they aren't people dogs. Jenny would be fine. My mum says my brother wouldn't be able to handle all 3 of the dogs if he dog sat either.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Yep but i have noticed a lot say 2 dogs maximum and i worry with Zara as she can be loud and destructive. which isn't good.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
If you google
"travelling with dogs"
"vacation with your dogs"
"holiday with your dogs"
"Vacation in ___X___ with your dogs"

TONS of articles pop up, like 8 million.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//Yep but i have noticed a lot say 2 dogs maximum and i worry with Zara as she can be loud and destructive. which isn't good.//

i did wonder about bringing a dog-aggressive dog like Zara to a place full of dogs....might not be so fun for Zara, but, neither would a dog boarding kennel full of other dogs all around, either.
tough one, Tif, good luck.

Mayyybe you could find a cabin NOT right among all the other cabins. I've often vacationed in cabins not right adjacent to the other cabins.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
its not necesarrily a place full of dogs as such just that they encourage you bringing them. and theres only 6 chalets there open all year round, who knows matthew (my bro) may be able to dog sit her, and it wont be til next year anyway.
Zara isnt specifically dog agressive she is just generally agressive all around even to us.
eg, trying to take her lead off or seem too before a walk = her trying to bite you. and clipping her claws = her trying to bite you. The other dogs she goes to bite. Especially Jenny our old one.
Just in general we have a hard decision to make about Zara, sadly.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//

Zara isnt specifically dog agressive she is just generally agressive all around even to us.//

yes, you and i once had long discussion on Zara and Bella, and i still think your mom's dog, Zara. could be a dog-aggressive dog who has developed spillover, "generalized" aggression onto humans as well, and i still believe, with all my heart, that you could get Zara to love humans, all humans, i really think so.

Zara gets almost no daily exercise, very very few walks, (but does get included sometimes on your trips to the park YESssss!!!)
not a lot of training, if any, not a lot "to do",
and is a high energy border collie who is a lil bit outa her lil mind.
Buddy would be smack nutters as well, without training, without daily walks and runs.

Da dogs can indeed, escalate and develop spillover "diffuse" agression to humans:eek: as well (buddy used to bite everyone too)
and shy/human-aggressive dogs can also escalate to develop aggression to dogs as well.

but, if and when you ever want to see about getting your mom's dog, Zara, to love humans, let me know, cuz i think you could do it, Tif!!! I do!! Won't be the easiest thing you've ever done in your life, but could be done. It'd be worth a try anyway. My ideas are all subthreshold stuff, no harm would be done. It's not impossible to get a da dog to bring it all down to a level where they love humans.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
but yeah, if Zara is still after Jenny (i thought that was over, sorry)
i can see where you would have a LOT of work to do,
(i'd be happy to help give you ideas to try, even via private msgs)
or you may have to consider rehoming one of the dogs.

It's possible in another home away from Jenny, Zara could be brought to love humans, to tolerate her nails being clipped, learn how to walk loose leash, get daily walks and runs, learn some tricks, have a "job" even if it is only tricks and agility all by herself,:ROFLMAO: and be generally kept away from most dogs, most of the time. Could happen, if Zara wasn't half outa her mind from seeing Jenny all day etc.

I have got Buddy to like dogs he once loathed. It can be done. But, a 24/7 set up, is extremely difficult to prevent, interrupt, and continue subthreshold desensitization efforts.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Tif, since YOU are the dog training talent in your home, it's almost too bad that Zara is not YOUR dog, and Bella is your mom's dog, cuz, i'd bet, if Zara was YOUR dog, she'd be better off!

cuz you ARE one talented dog trainer!
anyway, back to vacationing with dogs!!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Zara does get exersised often. but its all offleash as we have yet to find a harness, halti, lead that works.
Part of the problem is how she treats Jenny the oldest and as much as i love Zara. and i do. for me Jenny must come first.
I think Zaras problems with interactions with our dogs stem from the fact we now think she was younget than the breeder said when we got her and was from a really large litter and maybe seperated from her mum to early so hasn't really learnt interaction. She's been that way since we had her. Jeny has bitten her multiple times and jenny is VERY patient and tolerant and Zara has never gotten the message.
With both the dogs I don't think they are either dog or people aggressive. I get your points but i know my dogs and see how they react. I think they are just nervous and react accordingly. But there is a bit of improvement.
I start uni in september, go to work (then and now) and train Bella and Jenny. I physically can't walk her on the lead to get her from point A to point B which makes training hard. I don't drive yet.
As for training she is super hyper even after loads of exercise (I'm talking 3-4 hours or more). i need to think of something to train her to be calm in general (not just lying down) before i can do any kind of obedience with her. Oh thats another problem she does what she wants to do and if she doesnt we hear about it.
And to be honest I won't have the time to do the training she needs or the know how thats why we have been looking at border collie places that do and have the know how that may be the place Zara needs to go to, i could never rehome Jenny. Anyway the decision isn't for now we are giving it another 6 months to see if we can get improvement and then go from there.

Anyway about the holiday, not bin to scotland yet so that will be fun its about a 3 hour drive from where we live. We live in N.W England dogster so can drive there. I'm all excited. Anyone recomend some good life jackets, especially for Jenny, shes quite big and can swim but shes old and does put her head down when she swims so i want to be safer than sorry.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm all excited. Anyone recommend some good life jackets, especially for Jenny, shes quite big and can swim but shes old and does put her head down when she swims so i want to be safer than sorry.
I've been looking at life jackets and the ones that seem the best are the outward hound and paws aboard. They both have great reveiws.