Hip Target And Chin Target

sara

Staff member
Here's a simple one! I've decided to teach Oliver to target with his hip. He doesn't like being physically manipulated (so he's in the right spot for a trick or something) so i decided to shape the behaviour using a target stick (LOVE TARGET STICKS!!!)

In one session I had him understanding that he needs to touch the stick with his hip, now I just need to put it on cue, then add in my hand as well... possibly teach him to hip target other objects as well :)

I've also just taught him to chin target (for the read a book but pee on Brad Pattisen trick) and already have that one on cue.

Anyone else taught these behaviours? anyone want to join in? I didn't video the first session, but I'll probably video the finished product :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dawg, Jazzy, that is very impressive!! way cool!
Lol, that xxxxx sound sure is hard to say! and you are right, it does sound like you say "sex sex sex":ROFLMAO: but wonderful training!

i'd probably use a mouth-click noise or a word out of laziness.

Now, Jazzy, let me get this straight.........if you say xxxxxxx, that means "almost"
but if you say X then that means "YES!! all the way 100% right"
is that it? I think i like that idea, but, i'd have to find easier sounds!:ROFLMAO:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Thanks TL!! I am rather proud that we accomplished as much as we did; especially since Veronica is the first dog I ever tried to train (other than the necessary potty outside and don't eat the house :p)

You are correct, the "xxxx" means "almost, you are on the right track, you aren't done yet, keep doing what your doing".

Here is a good B&T overview from the gal who developed the training method:
http://synalia.com/about-sats/bridge-and-target-training-beyond-behavior-modification/

and here is a really cool website to check out if you are interested:
http://www.caninehorizons.com/Bridge_and_Target.html

We still have allot of work to do as far as teaching additional body parts and working with the concept of targeting body parts further to stationary and extension targets. Life long process! :)

sara

Staff member
Here we go, I taught the hip target behaviour and got it on video, plus the chin target, which is in 2 places, the read a book trick, and chin targeting of my hand :) I did a compilation of all 3 challenges I've been working on, plus an extra at the end :)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Veronica could never sit and beg and balance on that board like Oliver did!! She would topple over like a weeble!! (although weebles wobble, but they don't fall down, so maybe not like a weeble :p)

sara

Staff member
Veronica could never sit and beg and balance on that board like Oliver did!! She would topple over like a weeble!! (although weebles wobble, but they don't fall down, so maybe not like a weeble :p)
I discovered his ability to balance quite by accident :) We were walking at a park, and came across a pond near the road, I wanted to get a funny shot, so I asked Oliver to put his front paws up on one of the posts lining the road... and he did this all on his own

So I decided to work on it :) We're working towards a broomstick :)