Hi

vickie953

Hi my name is Vickie and I have four dogs. I have a five year old Rottie, Raven, a 8 year old Sheltie, Layla, a 2 year old Dalmatian, Cassie, and our newest addition is a Miniature American Shepherd aka Mini Aussies, who is only 9 weeks old, and his name is Striker.

We need lots of tips on how to stop Striker from eating up my house when he is not crated.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Welcome to DTA!

How much exercise is Striker getting? He might be needing some more walks. Since Striker is still a puppy, he might just need to chew. I would suggest buying him some bones and chew toys, and also a cong ball. You can stuff the cong ball with all sorts of yummy treats! I bought my cong ball online for a pretty reasonable price. They are really expensive at the stores. A cong ball also gives bored dogs something to do. :)

Good luck with your puppy!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome
Like Dilly said your pup may need more exercise. He may be bored and that's why he's chewing so much also it's a puppy thing they chew all your belongings. Get lots of durable chew toys such as kongs. Even though he is only 9 weeks you can start clicker training him to keep his mind engaged so he won't be bored. you can teach him simple things such as sit, lie down, roll over, stay, come, shake, high five, and other easy things. Good Luck with your pup. Please post pics of your dogs.

vickie953

We are not taking Striker on any walks per the advice of our vet until he has had a few more shots. He does run and play nonstop with my five year old grandson, who lives with us with my son, who is a single father, pretty much nonstop from the time Elijah gets home from school. They run through the backyard with Striker chasing Elijah, loll. We have found out that he starts chewing more when he is tired so we have started putting him in the crate at those times and he takes a nap. He also plays a lot with out Dalmatian, Cassie. The other two, Raven and Layla just look at him like he is a annoying little gnat, lol.

We have a Kong that we put peanut butter in it. We also have quite a few toys.

We are starting Cassie in obedience classes on Monday and will work with Striker on those things too at home. he will start conformation classes when he is old enough to be where he can be exposed to viruses like parvo, etc. after his shots are more up to date.

I'll try to upload some pictures but not really good with that, loll.

vickie953

This is Cassie when she won at one of her shows. The woman in the picture who was handling her is her co-owner/breeder/handler/Cindy Bowman. This was when she won her first major and she is now an AKC champion and getting ready to start her obedience training and hopefully get her CGC and therapy certification.
Cassie\'s first major.jpg

vickie953

oh and I forgot to mention that we bought toy that looks like a caterpillar and crinkles and you freeze it that is supposed to feel good on his gums but this isn't working.

He is the first puppy that I have had that you couldn't just redirect them with a toy and praise when you caught him chewing. He's doing great at housebreaking and for 9 weeks he only has had a couple of accidents since we got him last weekend.

I know its probably just teething but he has to learn not to chew on my furniture and the sooner the better.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and for the tips.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Welcome! You're dogs are adorable! I love the name Striker, so cute! For teething pain I heard that you can freeze a wet wash cloth and rub it on their gums to help relieve the pain.

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!! CUUUUUUTE dogs you have there!!!!:love: LOVE the pics!!!!

I also used a washcloth, but I gave it frozen for her to chew.:)

Anneke

Honored Member
Hi and welcome!!
You have beautifull dogs!!
Sounds like you have a little naughty pup on your hands;) Striker looks like my Jinx, when she was a pup, only Jinx is a normal size Aussie:)
And aussies can be a little(O_o) stubborn:D So keep redirecting him.
I think you are doing the right thing by putting him in his crate, when he is tired. If he is anything like my girl, he probably fights the fact he his tired. Don't wanna miss a thing, mum!!!:LOL:

vickie953

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've had a friend of mine suggest giving him a raw bone to gnaw on to help but really don't want a raw bone on my floor. Plus, I'm worried it will bother his stomach. I'll try the washcloth idea and hope it helps.

I wonder if you can put baby teething gel on their teeth if that will help.

Anneke you are probably right about Striker not wanting to miss anything at all. I have been really awed though at how well he is learning things. We have only had him a week and my daughter has already got him sitting and downing on command.

Plus he absolutely loves running in the backyard with my five year old grandson. They are best buds.

vickie953

Welcome! You're dogs are adorable! I love the name Striker, so cute! For teething pain I heard that you can freeze a wet wash cloth and rub it on their gums to help relieve the pain.
Thanks for the compliments and for the advice. I appreciate it and will try it.

sara

Staff member
Welcome to the DTA!

Puppies like to chew, some more than others. Keeping things up and giving them a variety of toys and such they can chew on is a start. every time you catch him chewing on something he shouldn't give him something he can. Also, if you keep him leashed to you, you can keep a better eye on him and can catch him eyeing up things he shouldn't.