Hi

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hello, I'm Kryst'n and I am new to the site. I have been training dogs since I was about ten, and I currently have four dogs: Nick(6-year-old Teacup Chihuahua), Rusty(5-year-old Rottie mix), Zeke(almost 2-year-old Border Collie/Blue Heeler), and Mudflap(4-year-old Border Collie). Mud was adopted from a local shelter. She had been neglected and came from a junkyard...she was fostered by a very border collie-savvy couple, although she wasn't there long. They crate-trained her, and unfortunately they soon found out that she was highly food aggressive. When we got her home I started working on that, and now she snoozes away when Nick or my cat wander into the kennel and investigate her bowl. She has improved greatly and has been and continues to be a joy to train. She is crate-trained, leash-trained, and knows sit, stay, wait, down, crawl, shake, get off, and get up(on something). We are currently working on "say your prayers" and "pray a little harder." She loves fetch, and we recently started "hide and go fetch." I tell her to wait somewhere, hide a toy, and then tell her to go find it. Very cute and she really likes it. :doghappy: The only thing she hasn't figured out is how close to bring the toy back....so she'll run and get it, bring it about two or three feet away, and Zeke will pick it up and drop it at my feet. It's quite humurous to watch them tag-team. :doglaugh: Rusty is a very pretty brindle with a white five-point star on his chest. I think he probably has some pit in him. He is leash-trained and knows sit, stay, wait, shake(both paws), high-five(both paws), and down. He's also a canine Houdini... Very clever when it somes to escaping. :dogph34r: Zeke is big clown, and pretty shy. He is leash trained and knows sit, down, back up, bow, stay, shake, and high-five. He's very easily distracted....especially by livestock. He definitely has the work ethic of both of his breeds. We're fixing to start working on the spin. Unlike the rest of his canine housemates, Nick doesn't know much...he is the only dog I have met so far that despises training. He knows sit and down....nothing else. He didn't want to learn anything else. I love working with animals, and I am a huge Cesar Millan fan. He's great. :doglaugh: I volunteer at the same shelter Mud came from, and what I enjoy most is training the dogs and working with the behavior problem dogs. I really love it. Anywho, so I'm new here and looking for other things to teach my mutts, and check out other methods.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that is awesome! You sure have your hands full with four dogs!!! :dogsmile: But on the other hand they get to play together! :)

It seems you know a lot of dog tricks, and you've probably already taught the majority of the tricks that are on here to your dogs, but I'm planning on adding a lot of new dog tricks this coming winter, hopefully I'll be able to inspire you with one or two more, hehehe.

Anyways, :welcome: to the Academy! I hope you have tons of fun, and let us know how your training is going. I'm always fascinated by more advanced trainers as they get to train their dogs stuff I don't necessarily think of! :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh yes, always busy. Quite tiring, but at least I enjoy it! And yes, they do love playing together. Oh, there's always new things to learn...all it takes is the imagination of new people to think up a new trick and start working with it. =) A little creativity can go a long way. Wow Jean, thank you very much for calling me "advanced." Haha...big compliment for me. I'm very young for an "advanced trainer." I learned a lot of my tricks from books and just playing around with my mutts. Thank you both for the welcomes, and CollieMan, I love your dog! =) Very pretty.