HI my friends plz help me!

rockythepain

Hi all, my dog now is 7 months old, 85% housebreaking and doing well,likes new ppl a lot and doing a lot of exercises but my problem is barking at the door and EVERY time the elevator opens/closes and called O_o
on the door he only barks when its knocked or the bell rings so i can look at him and say ssssh and silent a for a while but for the elevator i cant find anything can help me from my searches so i turn up to you,PLZ help me with this i cant find a right technique for it :dogunsure:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I am sure someone here will come along with some helpful advice. Kudos to you for wanting to help your dog learn better manners!!

I am beginner trainer, so when you get better advice, go with that. Me, i have "shhh" as my cue to stop barking, works with my dog. When he barked, i would say "shhhh" and then click/reward/treat his startled silence. Wasn't long til Buddy understood "shhh" means no barking.

I like my dog to bark to doorknocks, he is not excessive, jsut normal. (laff, i actually had to TEACH him to do that!!lol!)

You, however, want to avoid the initial bark altogether, right? Hmmm. Is he barking while he is IN the elevator, or when the doors open?

Just guessing, but maybe try this. If it is when doors open, enlist a pal to ride the elevator. Bring your dog to that area. Get him calm, reward that. When elevator begins to make noises, sit beside your dog, and speed feed treats to your dog, faster than1 per second, and praise your dog for not barking. (see, he wont' be able to bark, not easily anyway, cuz you are speed feeding him.) Maybe add in cue word, "quiet" or something...

Repeat. If he barks, say "shhh" or whatever is your cue for stop barking. Maybe try distracting him onto favorite toy or treat to stop him barking. Seems like, with time, he will become desensitized to the elevator door....

Repeat a few times a day. worth a try. But maybe you have tried that already...

Maybe in time, your dog will begin to associate that elevator with treats for his sitting quietly.

rockythepain

tigerlily46514;20910 said:
I am sure someone here will come along with some helpful advice. Kudos to you for wanting to help your dog learn better manners!!

I am beginner trainer, so when you get better advice, go with that. Me, i have "shhh" as my cue to stop barking, works with my dog. When he barked, i would say "shhhh" and then click/reward/treat his startled silence. Wasn't long til Buddy understood "shhh" means no barking.

I like my dog to bark to doorknocks, he is not excessive, jsut normal. (laff, i actually had to TEACH him to do that!!lol!)

You, however, want to avoid the initial bark altogether, right? Hmmm. Is he barking while he is IN the elevator, or when the doors open?

Just guessing, but maybe try this. If it is when doors open, enlist a pal to ride the elevator. Bring your dog to that area. Get him calm, reward that. When elevator begins to make noises, sit beside your dog, and speed feed treats to your dog, faster than1 per second, and praise your dog for not barking. (see, he wont' be able to bark, not easily anyway, cuz you are speed feeding him.) Maybe add in cue word, "quiet" or something...

Repeat. If he barks, say "shhh" or whatever is your cue for stop barking. Maybe try distracting him onto favorite toy or treat to stop him barking. Seems like, with time, he will become desensitized to the elevator door....

Repeat a few times a day. worth a try. But maybe you have tried that already...

Maybe in time, your dog will begin to associate that elevator with treats for his sitting quietly.
actually my dog is calm when we(me and him) wait for the elevator and it opens we go in then close and go out for our walk simply it normal for him!!! even when we ring the bell to make someone open the door to us weird isnt it :dogclosedeyes:
but the problem is when he is inside the house and the door rings or the elevator is opened closed or called!! i dont know how to explain this reaction from him :msniwonder:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Oh, he is INSIDE your house, then? Oh. Well, you could try to use exact same tactic as i describe above. have a pal ride the elevator, and you sit inside your door next to your dog, and then speed-feed your dog while elevator door opens (i'm hoping YOU can also hear it to know when to start the speed feed). click/treat/praise for dog NOT reacting.
Repeat.
repeat.

Keep repeating on regular basis til dog understands you do NOT want any warning about elevator, that you DO want him to sit calmly and not react to that elevator...

I'd think you'd want your dog to bark for doorbells, but, if you do not, i guess you could correct/give cue for 'stop barking'/ with a "shh" (click/reward sessation of barking) and/or speed feed treats while a pal rings doorbell.

Reward/praise any silence you get from your dogduring doorbells rings....

Have pal ring bell, and speed feed treats so he is too too busy to bark at bell, and praise him, so he knows, THAT is what you want out of him, is his nonreation, his silence. I'm thinking this might be tricky to get a dog to ignore the signal that heralds some intruder is about to enter HIS territory....might be hard to get a dog to ignore this...

but, with steady persistance, you may be able to train your dog to not react to doorbells.

(Weirdly, my last dog, never ever eever barked to doorbells/opening of the front door, from 10pm sharp til 6am next morning, he didn't 'do' nighthshift work...he just didn't!!)

Take a break, repeat.
Repeat.
repeat.
Might take some time, your dog is only a baby!!

Do this regularly. for a long time, til dog understands what you want.

but, stand by, someone will be by sooner or later with some better advice!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Now, Rocky, if this does not work, DO POST AGAIN!! Ha, i wish i had a nickle for everytime i got advice, went and tried it, and it did not work out exactly as i had hoped, i came back, reposted the new details, like for example: "well, when i am speed feeding the dog, he won't take the treats and just barks." or something, then they might ask some more questions, and the advice got tweaked a lil bit til it worked for ME and for MY dog.

Every human and eveyr dog are unique, so come back if you need more help.

rockythepain

tigerlily46514;20919 said:
Now, Rocky, if this does not work, DO POST AGAIN!! Ha, i wish i had a nickle for everytime i got advice, went and tried it, and it did not work out exactly as i had hoped, i came back, reposted the new details, like for example: "well, when i am speed feeding the dog, he won't take the treats and just barks." or something, then they might ask some more questions, and the advice got tweaked a lil bit til it worked for ME and for MY dog.

Every human and eveyr dog are unique, so come back if you need more help.
im glade to see this post, because i just logged in to write that my dog wont listen or even touch the treat when he is hyper on the door or even when he sees cats and dogs on our walk! he seems to lose his attention at me:doghuh: you know, like a kid who studies and as soon as he sees a cartoon you cant talk to him about homeworks!!:dogsleep:

charmedwolf

Staff member
Rocky, I suggest slowing down and working on attention for the lack of focus on you. When he is hyper by the door put distance between him and the door until you can get his attention back onto you. Is he still hyper at 5ft? How about 10? Did he calm down when he hit 15? Good, slowly move forward from there. One of my boxers and I recently had to do this. She got so hyper getting ready for a walk that I just kept backing up until she focused on me for every step towards the door and out of it.

You can even do this with the dogs and cats you see. Does he react at 60ft? 55? 50? Whoops, he reacted at 50 back up to 55 see if he's better. Just remember you aren't on a schedule take as much time as you and he needs. Just wait til he is calm THEN continue. Just like Tigerlily said come back if you need help. We are more than willing to add our 2-cents.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Rocky, that is excellent advice Charmed Wolf just posted, he is right, you DO need to teach your dog the cue "look at me" or "watch" or some cue word that means you want your dog to look at you.
There are several threads on teaching that cue, beginning with zero distractions at all, so dog learns that word/cue. then practice in all different rooms of your home.
then outside in very quiet area...
slowly advancing to very mild distractions.

And Charmed wolf is so so right about backing up the area where YOUR dog will be nonreactive, and to take your time slowly shortening the distance to the door. YOu might even have to try bringing dog into a bedroom, closing that door, and rewarding any calm behaviour. YOu could then slowly open door to the bedroom just an inch, and if dog breaks his sit to run to the door, =SHUT THE DOOR. Get your dog to sit again, try to open door 1 inch, if dog breaks sit, =shut the door. Til you CAN open the door, and the dog will sit calmly.

then take a few steps with dog, get his attention back onto you, if he goes along with looking at you, not barking, continue towards door. If he messes up, back to the bedroom, til he calms down. (you might need to have him on leash for this training.)

Sooner or later, he might get message, that if he is quiet, he will get to see who is behind the door, but only if he is quiet will he get the chance to see.

One time, on show called "It's Me or The Dog", i saw similar problem on that show. Victoria Stillwell, she did this: She would put the dog into a sit, and begin to open the door, just an inch, if dog broke his sit or reacted, = DOOR SHUT. She'd try again, put the dog into a sit, again try to open the door, if dog got up or reacted, =DOOR SHUT.:doghuh:
Now i'm thinking the problem she was working with was a dog who ran out the door, not barked at the doorbell....so this idea might not be helpful...was different problem being worked on, now that i think about it.

GOOD LUCK! KEEP US POSTED!!:dogbiggrin:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Oh Rocky, one more thing, you probably already know this, but teaching dogs/training dogs, especially if the dog is new to training, you only wanna work on the cue/trick/behaviour you are trying to elicit for a few minutes at a pop.

dogs zone out/get frustrated kinda easily, especially puppies and dogs new to trying to figure cues out.
You also always always wanna end on positive note, and always play with your dog after any training session, helps the dog think: Training is FUN!!

rockythepain

tigerlily46514;20956 said:
Oh Rocky, one more thing, you probably already know this, but teaching dogs/training dogs, especially if the dog is new to training, you only wanna work on the cue/trick/behaviour you are trying to elicit for a few minutes at a pop.

dogs zone out/get frustrated kinda easily, especially puppies and dogs new to trying to figure cues out.
You also always always wanna end on positive note, and always play with your dog after any training session, helps the dog think: Training is FUN!!
Ya you are right, I figured this out when I taught him tricks.When I feel he is frustrated I give him a cue he already know to give him a treat and pull him up from the frustration zone:dogwub:

snooks

Experienced Member
My solution to this was training to go your bed or your spot, whatever you have. People come in to help me with my house and so it's very exciting/rewarding/something's GONNA HAPPEN when my dogs are in the house and the bell rings. I got the neighbor to help and she rings the bell. Dog barks I tell her that's enough-if she quiets good girl treat, go to your bed. click-treat. I tell her stay and go to the door. She breaks the stay we go back to the bed cue again down/stay. She doesn't get treats for busted stays but she does get reinforcement for held stays. If she breaks when i open the door i close it and the person doesn't come in. so you have to have someone that you can slam a door in their face repeatedly.

the people that can come in and ignore your dog when they freak are great. people that can can ignore my dogs initially can come and go with no bother. those that gush and pay attention create havoc. so i tell everyone ignore the dogs unless they sit, you can pet when they sit but the second they stand up you walk away, don't say a word, don't push, any feedback is attention.

something in the past created an association for your dog of excitement and the bell when inside like a neat visitor is coming over!!! you have to re-associate it and I like the idea of focus back on you..that is the key.

Good luck...do let us know. :doglaugh: