Hi, I'm New Here.

cocoas mom

We are an elderly couple living in Michigan. In February, we purchased a beautiful 2 yr. old Labradoodle from a local shelter. She came to us with some issues: separation anxiety, climbing stairs, restless in the car, etc. Our biggest and continuing problem is peeing when she gets excited. She's ok with just husband and me, but when anyone else comes, you know the rest of the story. We've been using the "please ignore her, dog in training" method but have been successful only when we come home. I haven't invested in obedience training hoping we could get over this hurdle first. Is there any medication that would help in this situation? We both have become attached to Cocoa but are thinking about doing something we've never done before, that is, give away a pet. :(

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome to DTA. First, thanks for taking in your shelter pup and giving her a second chance. Sounds like she needs a huge paw-up, if anyone does! As for her submissive peeing, I know this is really frustrating, but it can be overcome. Sounds like you've not even had her 3 months yet, which for a problem like this, is nothing. She's had some major changes in her life, and submissive peeing is a dog's way of saying "hey, I'm not a threat, please don't hurt me, I mean no harm". She sounds like a very insecure girl who's trying to make her way in a very confusing world. It sounds like she's trying to overcome lots of fears - fear of being left alone, fear of being in the car, fear of stairs, all kinds of things in this big scary world. And now she's trying to figure out these new people and their new world. Please give her all your patience - and more time.

Here are 3 links to articles which may help you understand what you're dealing with. There are no simple answers. She's not sick, so there isn't a pill to make this go away. She needs to gain confidence in herself, her surroundings, her new family, her world. You said you haven't invested in any training, but finding a good positive reinforcement class may be really good and fun for her, and help her to gain some of the confidence she needs.

http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm

http://www.petmd.com/dog/training/evr_dog_urination#.UYRoAVfn-M8

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/piddling_pooches

Linda A

Experienced Member
Welcome and good luck with your new dog. As Jackienmutts said, be patient! She has given you some very good advise. I also think some training classes would be good for her. She is struggling to learn the new rules. Classes will help her learn.

blacknym

Experienced Member
welcome! and i agree with the above. Please be patient. Investing in a good positive reenforcement trainer will do wonders. I would go a bit further and suggest some one on one sessions before any group classes. :) That way you and the traininer can work on the most immeiate problems and then move forward from there.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I feel your pain, cocoa's mom. I too adopted a shelter pup in February. He really tries my patience at times, and I think of sending him back. But I know that if I do, I am only adding to his problems and making it harder for him and the poor soul who finds the courage to take on a pup that has been rejected twice. Hang in there, read lots, watch lots of training videos ( there's tons of free stuff on youtube, just make sure it's all positive stuff, stay away from Cesar Milan and his kind) and ask questions here. I've gotten lots of help already, and I'm sure you will too.

cocoas mom

Thank you very much for the suggestions and encouragement. We aren't giving up on her yet. We live in the country, and she does come when we call, so I don't think she's afraid of us. She's gotten over crouching so I believe she is comfortable with us and trying to please. We had our last dog 17 years, and with all sorts of training, she wouldn't come if there was ANY distraction. I will today inquire into finding a trainer. Again, thanks!:)

blacknym

Experienced Member
That's great! And don't forget we are here for ideas, suggestions and a sounding board for those a frustrating times. :)

Let us know when you find a trainer. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome. Jackie and everyone else has given you very good advice. Please don't give up on Cocoa, she's had a rough time in her short life. That's she's not afraid of you and has stopped crouching is really good, plus coming when called. However, other people, friends, family etc. may still, as yet, be scary to her. It does take a lot of time, patience and love to help a shelter dog over come their issues. Kudos for adopting one, it's not always an easy route, but the rewards are huge!!!!!!!!! You've changed one little dog's life! She will get over all issues and don't forget, everyone here will help, plus a lot of us have taken in rescue dogs, so we can understand your feelings.