Hi, I'm Beth

I live in Alabama and have 2 boxers. My youngest Colby, is about 14 months. He is very destructive a

• excercise

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • toys

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

angel300zx

:oops: I live in Alabama and have 2 boxers. My youngest Colby, is about 14 months, and his father Lestat, is about 5 years old.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome.
and please tell us about their personality, we'd love to know. How much exercise do they get cause if they don't get lots of exercise they can be very destructive. Boxer are very high energy dogs, they were bred for cattle dogs, cart pulling and to catch and pin wild boars. So they were bred to work not to sit around. Also trick training would be good for them, they are intelligent dogs and need to keep their mind busy. Ohh and please post more pics of your beutiful dogs.

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!!! LOVE your dogs!!!! As Southerngirl mentioned, the root of Colby's destruction may be too little exercise. How much daily exercise is he getting???:D Do you train or are you planning on teaching tricks/agility???? Do you use a clicker??? And we would just LOVE to see some more pics of your wonderful dogs!!!!:LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!! i agree with Dogster and SouthernGirl, exercise might help this dog a lot,
as will TRICKS TRAINING!:D gives a dog a "job" and "something to do".

any old trick will do, it does not matter which trick you teach this week, any ol trick will do!! cuz dogs LOVE a chance to use their mind. Learning tricks can help settle a dog down and make him feel satisfied and content, too. PLus, it strengthens the bond between dog + owner.

but yeah, that + EXERCISE!!:ROFLMAO: A TIRED DOG IS A GOOD DOG.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
time of day?

anytime is good time for MY dog, :ROFLMAO: he is ALWAYS up for a lesson, always!:ROFLMAO: Buddy starts banging that tail around soon as he sees the clicker.

i guess, if someone does have a dog who does not show enthusiasm for training, (?) after they evaluate what can be added to make training MORE FUN for dog, like using enthusiastic praise, try using new type of reward, moving to new area for training, keep lessons short for now, etc.
well,
if dog is still not stoked to train, maybe
they could try out right before dinner, if using food rewards.

Oddly my dog seems a lil hungrier AFTER he's just eaten, than before. It's like he woke up his stomach or something....... sometimes, i am same way, not really hungry---then i eat dinner, bam! now i am hungry. :rolleyes:

Maybe for hyper spazzy dogs, maybe when that dog is tired might be better?:ROFLMAO:
and just experiment around to find out if their dog does have a preference for time of day...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
i actually have some set times i train my dog,
and my dog, like all dogs, can tell time.:rolleyes:

so everyday, at that time, my dog comes and stares at me, with big smile, and if i don't get around to training him, he will begin to nudge me with his nose a bit, "I WANT MY LESSON! I WANT MY LESSON! IT'S TIME! LOOK, IT'S TIME!" ROFL

BUT, it's just cuz he's USED TO that time, and has memorized that hour, as THE time. If i wanted to, i'm sure i could get him used to some other hour. That hour just works out best for me.