Hi Everyone This Is Kirby!

Kirby

Hello to my fellow animal lovers/dog lovers. Just wanted to introduce my sexy boi Kirby and tell u guys a little about how amazing he is.
Well Kirby is a 3 1/2 year old ridgeback cross mastiff and i've only had him for about 4 months now. His old owners have just recenty moved back to QLD and were gonna give him up to the pound when i stepped in to take over as his master. I knew him from when he was a little tacker but had only met him a handful of times. He was so naughty when i first took over as his master and thought he was just not disciplined. ANyways, the first month was absolute hell i tell you. As you guys may already know, he is a big boi and still growing. He is so big that he was able to jump the side fence which is pretty high and he used go exploring making me chase him for kms. I got so sick of this i had to start chasing him in the car hahaha. I'm lazy what can i say. When he was inside and wanted to stay inside he would drop to the floor and play dead forcing me to have to use unwanted force to get him out. Well now, after 4 months, he stays inside with me and he is the best dog now and the cool thing about it that i didn't have to teach him a thing.
I'll explain the moment things changed with us. he was lying on my bed with me and a friend and her dog. ( If you go to forums under dog tricks youll see a dog under peek-a-boo) and i can't even remember what he did but this moment changed our relationship totally. He was always a little rough with the little dog being so big but i know now he never meant it. ANyways, i had to change my tone of voice so he would learn to be more gentle with her and this look that he gave me, it was like he was terrified of what i was gonna do to him. he looked so sorry he never meant to hurt her then when i realised he didnt mean it, my nasty tone went away and he started licking my face to say hie was sorry. Well, this moment was important because it was the moment i learnt that he had been abused and that he just wanted some lovin. From that moment onwards, it was like he wanted to do anything and everything to please me in the hope of not having to go back to his old life. He is an angel now, he toilet trained himself, doesnt chew up anywthing, doesn't make a noise for a huge dog and is an absolute angel. I know he would never hurt anyone, but i feel so sad for him that people look at him and think automatically, dangerous dog. Dont get me wrong he has it in him but will only show it when trying to protect me. ANyways, enough rambling about my beautiful boi, just a few tips to look out for an abused dog. He is always quiet trying to listen to what was going on all the time. He would never raise his head and look at me in the eye even when i continued to call his name. A broom dropped onto the floor from leaning against a wall and he jumped like a small scared little dog. I always had this feeling that hed been abused but i now know for sure. Anyways enough about him, i guess i wanted to tell his story in the hope that someone else can learn from it and know how to deal with abused dogs and get the best out of them. He now sits up so straight next tome proud with his head up high and he now has the confidence to look me in the eye. Makes me so happy...

Anneke

Honored Member
Hi and welcome!

I know what you mean with the moment things change between you and your dog!
I have had an abused dog and the moment they start trusting you is soooo great!;)