Hey, There! :3

Katelin

Uh, hey there :3 My name is Katie and I'm new here. I found this place through Google (I had petfinder.com in another tab, because I am going to try to adopt another dog) and I was attempting to find out Ceaser Millian tricks/tips for training dogs, and I found a thread here where people were speaking about him (things I hadn't even considered!)

I have two dogs already, and their names are Chance and Cooper. Chance is a white German Shepherd that we adopted about a year ago, and Cooper is a Pomeranian/Dachshund/Corgi mix we've had since he was younger. I'm sixteen, and livin' in Foley, Alabama :D

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Katelin. Welcome to the site. Glad you are on lookout for training information for you & your dog. ;) Let us know if you need any help or advice of if you feel stuck!

laramie

Experienced Member
I totally agree with Sara. Cesar Milan LOOKS like a good trainer, but scaring your dog into submission is an awful way to teach them. If you notice him move quickly and suddenly around his dogs, they cower like they're afraid he'll hit them. I know this first hand because before I learned anything about dog training, I was one of the people who spanked them for things they did wrong, and I got the same reaction if I made sudden movements.

If you teach your dog that doing something you want will earn him good things, he will want to do it more than if he's being frightened into doing it. As Sara said, use positive reinforcement (R+) and you'll be amazed at how quickly your dogs learn, especially a dog like a German Shepherd.

Try looking up Victoria Stilwell. She's an amazing R+ trainer and she has a show on Animal Planet (It's Me or the Dog).

Oh, and welcome to DTA!! :D

karleee

Experienced Member
Welcome to the DTA!

It's good to see that you adopt...many peope go for the expensive pedigree's with papers :(

I'm 12,going on 13...we should talk :)

Katelin

Yes, I saw that. I actually at first was curious, since I'd only seen him a few times. I do prefer Victoria! :D Oh, god knows I love her show. I have it to record on my DirectTV, and when it does I watch it religiously. She's amazing (I just saw the one where she trained the lady who literally had a pack of Chihuahuas, and how one was very much overweight). I'd also looked at training tricks for her.

The reason I was suddenly so interested is because I'd like to start training Chance, before we even consider a new dog :) He's a great best friend, don't get me wrong. I adore the big fellow. And we've gotten rather good in our training (sit, heel, stay, and he actually listens to me outside which took months) but I was wondering what other tricks he could learn, and found this place ^^ But, oh, hello Karlee! Haha, we should talk then x3 Your dog looks adorable. What kind of breed is he?

karleee

Experienced Member
Yes, I saw that. I actually at first was curious, since I'd only seen him a few times. I do prefer Victoria! :D Oh, god knows I love her show. I have it to record on my DirectTV, and when it does I watch it religiously. She's amazing (I just saw the one where she trained the lady who literally had a pack of Chihuahuas, and how one was very much overweight). I'd also looked at training tricks for her.

The reason I was suddenly so interested is because I'd like to start training Chance, before we even consider a new dog :) He's a great best friend, don't get me wrong. I adore the big fellow. And we've gotten rather good in our training (sit, heel, stay, and he actually listens to me outside which took months) but I was wondering what other tricks he could learn, and found this place ^^ But, oh, hello Karlee! Haha, we should talk then x3 Your dog looks adorable. What kind of breed is he?
hehe,thankyou :)

Dazzle is a bordercollie cross kelpie.She is such a cute pup.she is 7 1/2 months and a really fast learner,what breeds are your dogs?

Dlilly

Honored Member
Welcome!

As you can see, most of us here are not fans of Cesar Milan. There are some really amazing dog trainers out there who I (and other members) can reccomend to you though!

Victoria Stilwell is a great dog trainer. She got me into dog training! She is my fav. dog trainer. ;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Welcome! i so agree with the others,
i want to add another voice saying-----------i do NOT approve of Dog Whisperer, either! shiver!!!!
nope.
I DO like a few things he says, i can usually find *some* good
in almost anyone
or any situation:ROFLMAO:,
and i DO like Milan's emphasis on EXCERCISING dogs, i so so agree with him there,:D
so so few dogs get enough excercise....:(.
but,
otherwise, i disagree with his foolish notion that "Our dogs are manifesting the human's secret inner issues" <--too funny! SAy that Bill has 3 dogs, and one(1) of his dogs has an issue. The other 2 dogs are fine.
What----the other two dogs are too dumb :ROFLMAO:to notice that one person in the family he lives with has some secret inner issue? ROFL, too cute. My dog IS a separate entitiy, not a manifestation of "me".
and i also strongly disagree
with Milan's methods:
http://youtu.be/RFCGtatpCwI

BUT I SO SO SO AGREE
WITH THE OTHERS
WHO SUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT "IT'S ME OR THE DOG":)--------VICTORIA STILLWELL ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and
WELCOME!
DO LOOK OVER
THE
"CLASSROOM" up above,
where Jean posts short, easy to understand tutorials on how to get started teaching your dogs tricks.