Help with the basics

kbox8

My puppy (a toy fox terrier) has learned to sit, lay down, shake, etc. But my problem is getting him to sit from laying down. He goes right into the lay down before I even get a chance to say sit when I am working with him in the livingroom. He is a smarty pants! Any suggestion? Thanks

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
But my problem is getting him to sit from laying down. He goes right into the lay down before I even get a chance to say sit when I am working with him in the livingroom
I don't quite understand what you mean, how can he be going into a down position if he already is laying down?

dakotamom421

dakota did the same thing once he went in to a down i could not get him into a sit i tried using treats to lure him but that would not work so i tried walking tords him as he was lying down, right after i gave him the cue to sit he would then get up into a sit to avoid getting stepped on he now will sit from a down, hope this helps, good luck.:dogsmile:

lorina

Experienced Member
Do you mean that he's learned sit, but then you taught him down and now he thinks every time you say sit you will next say down so he goes straight into a down position? Wow that was a confusing sentence. If that's the case maybe you need to put your hand under his chest before u say anything so he doesn't try to go into a down position.... I don't know if that will work on him though.

kbox8

Yeah, I know its confusing its like when he sees the treats he goes into auto pilot he will lay right down before I say anything then I can't get him to go into a sit. instead of the sitting up he continues to lay down he looks at me like I have three heads. I know its werid but I am new to this teaching your dogs tricks. Today my friend had doggie treats for her dog and he walked over and sat then started doing shake. She thought it was so cute she gave it to him. I feel like ahh he is a serious punk using what he has learned to get treats and looking cute.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
The thing with dog training is that once you start reinforcing a behavior, the dog will offer it more often.

In your case, since you have been training the lay down - he has learned that he simply has to lie down to get the treat.

So from now on, forget about training the lie down and focus on reinforcing him only for sitting. If he lies down immediately when he sees that you have treats - you should still be able to lure him into a sit position. Bring the treat to his nose and bring it upwards towards the ceiling, until his two front paws are straight and he is in a sit position.

Another option is to get him to stand again. Whenever he lies down, you can call him to you or wiggle a treat in front of him until he gets up to get it. Try reinforcing him only when he is standing up and walking. After you do a bunch of these exercises your dog will no longer immediately go into a down position and you can start the sit work.

Hope this helps :dogtongue2:

lorina

Experienced Member
haha it'll just mean that when he learns he doesn't get treats for going into a down before he's asked - he'll remember that he doesn't and stop doing it before given a cue.

kbox8

Thanks everyon

It worked!! Not only is he able to follow directions I have been able to add on another step. Thanks:dogtongue2: