Help Please - Left Side Orientated Dog.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I'd like to add that heeling on the right side is a lot harder than heeling on the left side. If I remember correctly, most AKC obedience type sports have the dog heel on the left side only.

Does he have this problem with other tricks where he can only do one side, or only with heel <----- question mark goes there

MaryK

Honored Member
Mary K, so sorry you are having such a struggle with your boy learning a new behavior. Have to admit I am relieved that an experienced trainer such as yourself still has problems at times. It is good to get another perspective on things, as so often we get caught up in our training goals and don't understand why doggie isn't on the same page! Good on you for not giving up and being open to trying new ways to achieve your goals! I am encouraged to be more patient with myself and my own little knucklehead!
Thank you:) Yes doesn't matter how much experience you have there's always that one trick ,or two in my case STILL cannot get 'are you shy' yet LOL probably because the boy isn't at all shy , but eventually one day they surprise you and 'out of the blue' (read weeks of trying) do it as if they've being doing it all their lives!:rolleyes::LOL: That's the beauty of dog training, always surprises you never know what your dog's going to spring on you.:rolleyes::LOL: And I just love it when they teach you a new trick, that's fantastic!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
I'd like to add that heeling on the right side is a lot harder than heeling on the left side. If I remember correctly, most AKC obedience type sports have the dog heel on the left side only.

Does he have this problem with other tricks where he can only do one side, or only with heel <----- question mark goes there
You're right,we have had to heel left side and not right, so the boy's really been 'drilled' into left side, positively of course:) . No, he knows right paw left paw, cross right/left etc. spin left right etc. just with the heeling, so I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why he's having problems with this trick. When his lead gets tangled he'll lift either paw on cue (or even now without a cue) to 'untangle', just the heel work with right side. He's too well trained on left side:rolleyes:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
LOL! Yes stinkier the better. ;)
I noticed on another thread that someone uses bleu cheese. Has anyone noticed different cheeses causing runny poops? I think for Brody the "fresh" cheeses like mozza or monterey jack are not good, where cheddar seems to be fine. I worry about the saltiness though. Not sure my budget would allow for the fancier ones!

MaryK

Honored Member
I think Ra Kismet has the proverbial 'cast iron stomach':rolleyes: The only thing which gave him an upset tummy was when he, as a very young pup, gobbled some KFC dropped in the middle of the road we were crossing. However, I wouldn't give a dog too much because of (a) saltiness - high in cheddar and (b) fat content. As blacknym says, use it to get them going then change to something else.

MaryK

Honored Member
And while I'm here YEAH we are making grand progress, with a wall to guide, we now can do quite a lengthy (well a foot or so) forward on the right side. Backing though is still a bit of a 'drama', he still sits quite quickly. But progress, even a few steps is progress!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes and he attempted to do 'peek a boo' when doing a back - somehow - he's creative if nothing else:rolleyes::D

ackerleynelson

Progress!!! Five, well to be honest four and a half, backward steps on the right side YEAH!!!!!!! Plus a few more forward steps on the right side!!!!!!!!!

LOL must say all done with a somewhat 'puzzled' expression "Hey Mom you've always asked for left side. What's up now with this right side business?".
Really good that he is making progress... all the best for future too...(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
We've had to put trick training on hold for a short time, due to Ra Kismet having been sick. Hopefully once he's had the 'all clear' from the vet he'll remember his back and right side, as he was starting to get right side sit/walk off quite well!

MaryK

Honored Member
WHat was up with Ra?
Thank you for asking. Ra Kismet started to vomit a lot, plus sloopy poos and wasn't 'himself'. He was due for his annual injections for heart worm etc. so trip to the vet. He did have a temp, the low side of 'high'/dangerous and the vet, who wasn't fully informed at the time, said he had a 'tummy bug'. Found out later, by chance saw an email from partner to his mother when I was searching for a sent one of my own, that apparently Ra Kismet had eaten what my partner suspected (by the smell apparently) was Rat Poison!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't tell me, as he thought I would be worried!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: Won't say what my reaction to that was, but it wasn't pleasant, that's for sure!:mad:

So another trip to the vets, as some Rat Poisons can stay in the body for weeks, oh boy!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: Have noticed Ra Kismet is reluctant to do 'sit pretty' - it's not one of his fav trick but......maybe I'm over reacting but will be glad when he's seen the vet again and the vet is told the WHOLE UNVARNISHED truth - not 'Ra Kismet ate something when out for a walk and vomited it up immediately' as my partner informed the vet on the last visit.

I have changed his food, again partner (men don't even mention them to me at present) bought different food as it was 'on special', not sure if that caused the further vomiting but must say, having stated with great firmness and clarity that Ra Kismet was NOT having that, that the vomiting has stopped since he's back on his normal diet.

The hind legs though, need the vet to check them, as I'm just not sure if it's Ra Kismet being 'lazy' with sit pretty (he's prone to that) or the after effects of the suspected Rat Poisoning.

blacknym

Experienced Member
OMG!!!! I would be close to homicidal! There is not excuse for the partner ;) to be lying about something like that. :/ I sure hope Ra Kismet is back to him old self soon. :hugs

MaryK

Honored Member
OMG!!!! I would be close to homicidal! There is not excuse for the partner ;) to be lying about something like that. :/ I sure hope Ra Kismet is back to him old self soon. :hugs
I was don't worry!:mad: Only thing which kept me on an even, though absolutely furious, keel was Ra Kismet, too upsetting for him to have Mom blowing a fuse. No excuse at all for lying like that, as if I was going to worry more, knowing the truth is actually easier than not knowing. Even when the truth isn't good. And the vet should have been told, otherwise how can he do his work properly? I know he'd have immediately done blood tests etc. if there was the slightest hint of poison.

He's back to the vets either tonight/tomorrow morning or hopefully not that late, Monday night. Just waiting for partner to ring and let me know what time he's finishing tonight, then I'll call the vets etc. And boy, the vet will hear the truth!

Ra Kismet, apart from the hind legs, seems to be almost back to normal. Just appears to have lost his 'mojo' a little, which is concerning me. But last night he did bring his inside ball up for a game, so that's a good sign. Be so glad to see the vet though. Oh yes, and decided to wake me up nice and early, but only with gentle licks, not his usual leap on top of me kinda wake up call.

Thank you for the hug, I needed that:)

blacknym

Experienced Member
I hope you get him in as soon as possible. Keep us up to date!

Deja ate some tin foil yesterday. Urg... But she threw it up while I was will today. Thank gosh! I was not 100% certian she had eaten until I can home and saw it on the floor. :/

MaryK

Honored Member
I hope you get him in as soon as possible. Keep us up to date!

Deja ate some tin foil yesterday. Urg... But she threw it up while I was will today. Thank gosh! I was not 100% certian she had eaten until I can home and saw it on the floor. :/
Ouch! Tin foils not the best, hope Deja is o.k. Hugs to her poor baby:)

Will do, am just about to ring partner, he's taking his time ringing me, to see if he can manage a late visit tonight. I want to know now!!!!!!!!!

Sure will keep you posted.