Help Please - Left Side Orientated Dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
My boy, Ra Kismet, is very good at giving right paw/left paw back and front, when asked but the rot sets in when asked to do any heel work.

For example, he will do 'close heel' left forward and back perfectly, but ask for the same movement on the right side and he really does totally 'screw up'. I usually get a dog well angled 'out', if he'll move at all forward or backwards, or sit again more in front of me than at my side - or if he's feeling really creative and my legs are not clamped together - I get a lovely 'peek a boo' trick:)

I've tried blocking him when doing right side work, unfortunately do not have anything high enough, because he just jumps on or over any block:rolleyes:.

When we're out on our walks he will usually walk just slightly ahead or close on my left side. Have tried to encourage him to 'change sides' but he'll only do so if there's an appealing smell. And he'll always without any prompting reset himself to my left side or slight ahead.

As he clearly knows his left and right paws, what's going wrong with my training in heel work when we attempt 'right side'? Really want the boy to get this, as he'll be going back to doggy school soon and will need to know this trick. Plus starting in Canine Freestyle work, where I need right and left sides to 'happen'.

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
I have my classes use a wall to guide the dogs - put him between you and the wall and refresher course the basics of heel. Using a building like a supermarket or strip mall type place after they have closed is perfect! Then when he gets it - move off the wall and see how it goes.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
My guess would be that he has had a lot more reinforcement for walking on the left side. If dogs practice mainly walking on one side that is where they like to stay. I would increase the amount of treats he gets on the right. Maybe have him on the left and he gets no treats then have him switch to the right and then treat, treat, treat, take a step treat etc. Make the Right side most exciting by ignoring him on the left and praising him, petting him, and giving him treats and maybe playing tug etc.

MaryK

Honored Member
I have my classes use a wall to guide the dogs - put him between you and the wall and refresher course the basics of heel. Using a building like a supermarket or strip mall type place after they have closed is perfect! Then when he gets it - move off the wall and see how it goes.
Thank you, didn't think of that solution:) Something tells me even Super Dog Ra Kismet will not be able to leap high walls!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Will take him up to the supermarket, after they close, and work there.

MaryK

Honored Member
My guess would be that he has had a lot more reinforcement for walking on the left side. If dogs practice mainly walking on one side that is where they like to stay. I would increase the amount of treats he gets on the right. Maybe have him on the left and he gets no treats then have him switch to the right and then treat, treat, treat, take a step treat etc. Make the Right side most exciting by ignoring him on the left and praising him, petting him, and giving him treats and maybe playing tug etc.
Your guess is right, thank you, didn't think of that at all:):rolleyes: . When out walking I have my dogs walk on my left side so I am between them and other pedestrians. I'm in a built up area so we have to share the sidewalk. Too close to the problem to realize that:rolleyes: .

Will do as you say, on our walks will increase treats and praise for right side and none for the left side. He's VERY treat orientated and not at all LOL adverse to high praise either:D. Plus walk him up to the supermarket and use the wall there, his 'back' is terrible on the right side, worse if possible than forward, so a HIGH wall will help on that one.

Thank you both so much, I knew it was me and not him as he's a smart little cookie who loves to work and please!:)
So lovely to have a forum where you get immediate good, sound, solid help. This forum rocks!!!!:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Update. Tried with a wall and super smart boy (not) decided sit was the best option:eek::rolleyes::oops:. Guess it's going to be loads of patience, double treats if he ever moves and heaps of praise. I'm getting the 'hey Mom are you crazy, I walk LEFT side not right' look at present and the 'hey I think sit will get me a treat, always worked in the past' look. Hard to resist that look but I managed too, somehow, and he didn't get a treat. I got a *big yawn* it's tough being a dog isn't it look as my 'reward':D

Linda A

Experienced Member
Update. Tried with a wall and super smart boy (not) decided sit was the best option:eek::rolleyes::oops:. Guess it's going to be loads of patience, double treats if he ever moves and heaps of praise. I'm getting the 'hey Mom are you crazy, I walk LEFT side not right' look at present and the 'hey I think sit will get me a treat, always worked in the past' look. Hard to resist that look but I managed too, somehow, and he didn't get a treat. I got a *big yawn* it's tough being a dog isn't it look as my 'reward':D
Did you try luring him to move forward? That might give him the idea.

MaryK

Honored Member
Did you try luring him to move forward? That might give him the idea.
Yes, I tried to lure him forward and was shocked when that didn't work as he's a very food orientated dog but sit on my but was his reply, nose stretched out in hope, but he refused to budge even for food! He can, on rare occasions, be stubborn and this appears to be one of those very rare occasions:rolleyes::whistle: I'll just have to keep working on it, LOL patience is the key here, a lure will eventually work it'll be too hard to resist. I'll try a good smelly cheese next time LOL even though all the dogs around will follow us, that should do the trick in getting him to move!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
What about if you toss the treats on the ground. I was working with a stressed dog today that wouldn't take treats at first but was more likely to take them off the ground. Sometimes they can't resist movement.

MaryK

Honored Member
What about if you toss the treats on the ground. I was working with a stressed dog today that wouldn't take treats at first but was more likely to take them off the ground. Sometimes they can't resist movement.
I'll try that, but he's been taught to 'leave' anything on the ground especially when we're outside, after he snaffled, as a puppy, some KFC whilst we were crossing a road and had a VERY bad tummy ache for three days after!

MaryK

Honored Member
We do have progress though! Yes, smelly cheese may not do his breath any good, but it did cause him to make one step in the right direction - before plunking down again in sit!:D:rolleyes:

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I would try putting him right by the wall with you in front of him. Back up and give him treats for walking toward you. Then go next to him and see if he gets that the context is still the same. Keep the treat low so he has to kind of bow his head a little so he won't be thinking about sitting.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Work on stand too. Can you lure him from a sit to a stand? You can even just giving him a treat when you see him standing. You could also work on hand touches. Have him touch your right hand and bring your hand over to your right side. Have you taught him to go to a particular spot you point to? If you have a handful of treats in your right hand and give him one at a time will he stay on that side or will he try to go back to the heel position?

MaryK

Honored Member
He can do sit to stand, and vice versa, plus hand touches right/left and also chin. Yes, he'll go a spot I point too.

Nope not even treats on the right side keep him there, tried that. But will try right up against the wall with me in front, haven't tried that as yet thanks.

MaryK

Honored Member
Progress!!! Five, well to be honest four and a half, backward steps on the right side YEAH!!!!!!! Plus a few more forward steps on the right side!!!!!!!!!

LOL must say all done with a somewhat 'puzzled' expression "Hey Mom you've always asked for left side. What's up now with this right side business?".

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Mary K, so sorry you are having such a struggle with your boy learning a new behavior. Have to admit I am relieved that an experienced trainer such as yourself still has problems at times. It is good to get another perspective on things, as so often we get caught up in our training goals and don't understand why doggie isn't on the same page! Good on you for not giving up and being open to trying new ways to achieve your goals! I am encouraged to be more patient with myself and my own little knucklehead!