Help, New Dog House Rejected!

alcastive

Hello Everyone,

I got my dog a new outside dog house made of wood (gonna paint the roof red and the rest green later) she's not getting the idea that i want her to stay the day in that house and sleep at night in my room her house is on my terrace next to my room. I tried to throw cookies inside she quickly get in and get out taken the treats i left her for like 3 hours but she slept outside the house!

I am frustrated and i want her to get used to that house before i travel at the end of the month because i can't leave her all day inside my room, specially in summer.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Does she have a favorite bed she likes to sleep on? Maybe put that *favorite* bed in the doghouse, along with some treats, in the doghouse, and see if that helps. Also, maybe you could do some short training sessions that include the doghouse, to get that kind of "on her radar" (so to speak). Things like "go to your house", do sit/stays, downs, shakes, things like that when she's *in* the doghouse - maybe if she's rewarded big time while she's in there, she'll come to think of it as a good place to be.

Just thought of something else - decided to edit instead of making a new post. How about if you put a chair or something next to the doghouse, take out a book or magazine, I'm assuming she has a bed in the doghouse, so you relax and read, give her a great stuffed kong or a chew, and ask her to relax *in* the doghouse with her kong/chew while you read (telling her to go to her house, give her the chew, then expect her to stay while you read). Try some sessions like that - maybe she'll get the clue that she can relax in there - she can relax while you do. Start the sessions short, and work them up to 30 min. At least that way, you'll know that she knows to go in there ... now, whether she does or not, well....:confused:

alcastive

Hello Jackienmutts yes she have one and i put it in that house along with her favorite toy food and water it's a big house for short dog, I donno what kind of training would help me get her in there, she already know "go inside" command also i put her toy inside and told her "go fetch" which she also knows but she didn't even after i repeated with excitement, while she would get it if it was under any thing (bed, table..)

Do you know any video ? that maybe i can teach her to like her house ?

new bear

Hi, you may want to have a jog with your dog so that she is tired before you ask her to sleep in her favourite bed in the dog house. You can also turn on some calming music so that it helps her to relax in the dog house. You can also try finding out why does she fear or unwilling to go into the dog house. Is is too hot or is it too dark? If it is too hot, you can try to make the dog house more ventilated or put a water bed in the house so that your dog will be more cooler. If it is too dark, you can edit the dog house (maybe some parts should be changed into transparent acrylic plastic so that more light enters the dog house. Did you try the method of putting a kong toy in the dog house as mentioned above by jackienmutts? I thought that is a great idea. You may also want to teach every thing in baby steps. 1st, reward her with treats or a game of toy (e.g. tug) when she go near the dog house. 2nd, reward her for sniffing the dog house. 3rd, reward her for making any contact with the dog house like scratching at it, etc. You can also cue her by asking her to paw at the dog house. 4th, reward her for putting a paw in the dog house and for 2 paws in the dog house, then 3 paws and finally when she walks in the dog house. (reward her heavily when she goes in the dog house by giving her a handful of treats in the dog house or playing a few minutes of tug game in the dog house) You can then work on the duration she stays in the dog house. If you need any video to show you how to teach your dog to like the dog house, here is a great one by kikopup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4&feature=channel_video_title. If you have any other pets like another dog or a cat, you can teach it to go into the dog house and reward it heavily while your dog observes. After some time, you will realise that your dog will follow and go into the dog house too. Once your dog is okay with going into the dog house but have some problem staying in it, you can massage her gently especially around her face (as there are a lot of accupoints for calming around the face). Tellington touch also works amazingly well too if you know how to do it. This helps your dog to relax and enjoy her time in the dog house. Hope these tips help you and your dog! Have a great day with your dog! :)

Dlilly

Honored Member
New Bear's advice is great! Along with that, make sure you are calm while training. If you get a bit frustrated, take a break then come back to it later. It will help you focus more, and have more patience. Hope this helps! :D

alcastive

Thank you all for your advises, It was my mistake i tried to close the dog house when Sasha was inside and she got scared but i was thinking maybe i can keep her at night too so she can sleep there and not in my room, poor girl thought i was going to lock her. Sasha is getting now on her new house i left her for a day and when the sun was too hot sasha's choice was to go inside and take a nap :) i was happy to see her getting used to it

new bear

Glad to hear that Sasha is loving her new dog house. :) Wonderful job of realising your mistake and correcting it! :)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm also glad to hear things have worked out. We've all messed up here and there - good that you figured out what was wrong, happy to hear she's using her house to relax, I know that makes you feel so much better too. :) Thanks for posting an update.

alcastive

Thank you all for your concern. I spent too much time painting that house too i begin to like it too :) roof red and the other parts are green