Help! My 1 1/2 year old has dysplasia

kristin

I just got back from the vet's office. He did some xrays and told me she has dysplasia in both front elbows. Which is why she has been limping. He said her joints look like that of a 12 year old dog, not a
1 1/2 year old. He recomended glucosomine/chondroiton. But there is not much I can do to help her except for pain/anti-inflamentory meds and possibly a $4000 surgery.
Anyone have any ideas that i can use to help her out at all??? I want to prevent this from getting worse if i can at all...

lexio2

I replied to your thread about the joint supplement too.

Swimming is a GREAT low impact exercise to help keep the muscles around her joints strong. The stronger those muscles are the less pain she will have and the less drugs you will have to give her.

I don't know about elbow dysplasia, but i was told that trotting for extended times (like on a walk) is also a good way to help keep the muscles around the hip joints strong. I taught my dog to use a treadmill which helps too. I don't know if it is too much impact for elbow dysplasia or not.

My vet also gave me some physical therapy streatches to do with Qwill's rear legs to build and keep his range of motion and keep the muscles around his hips in good shape. All things to ask your vet about!

Like i said before, Qwill was a mess when i first got him, but the physical therapy, joint supplements and love has completely brought him around. I rarely have to give him medication for pain which not only helps my budget but doesn't put undue stress on his liver. He doesn't think there's a thing wrong with his butt!

My vet also told me that they should never run if at all possible. I have border collies, try telling one of them NOT to run around - yeah right! So very early on I settled on policy with myself that they have to be allowed to be dogs, even if it means they has to rest more the day after. Unfortunately it means that i have also had to have the serious conversation with myself about what happens farther down the road when all my love, care, supplements, therapy and his joints just go out the window. When the day comes that he can't stand on his own and is in so much pain that being a dog isn't fun for him anymore, I'm ready to let him go. Not fun to think about, but that's my reality and i cherish every day with them all the more.

Let me know if you have any further questions, i've been where you are!