Help! Large Service Dog Needed

dtmilo

I have a spinal cord injury and require the use of a walker. I would like to get a dog and ditch the walker, if possible. I need help balancing and I faint often from very low blood pressure. I have had German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Rottweilers......I don't know if they would be tall enough to help me balance or strong enough help me up from a fall? Should I get a Mastiff or a Corso or a Presa??? But how well would they do and would they retrieve my cell phone if I hurt myself in the fall?

I'm leaning towards a large male GSD or Rottie....but I just don't know???

All I know is that I'm entirely too young to be stuck with this walker:(

Dodge

))hugs(( a very warm welcome to you,you sound like you ve had and still have a hard time,I really dont know about service dogs,but somebody will sure reply soon and point you in the right direction,there is a thread about service dogs . . .I m rubbish with links,but I ll have a go,hope this works . . .
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/choosing-a-service-dog-breed.3600/
Best of luck to you,I really hope that you will find what you are looking for,hope to have a chat with you in the future (y):)

fickla

Experienced Member
First off, using a dog in helping walking is more about counter balance than using one for support. The organization I work for actually places very few dogs in harnesses as most people still need their walker or cane. And very few people can actually use a dog in help from getting off the floor. A dog should not be supporting a ton of your weight, no matter how large of dog. I have trained dogs to brace but it is again about a little bit of balance support rather than using them like a railing you pull on to. I'm not trying to discourage your research, I just want to make sure you are aware of the limitations of using a dog.

Secondly, it is a very special dog who has what it takes to make it as a service dog. Service dogs need to be bomb proof out in public, able to withstand screaming toddlers rushing up to it with baseball bats in target, popcorn all over the floors at movies, and just utter craziness. It is more about individual personality than breed.

I highly recommend looking at organizations who can give you a dog and walk you through the public access and skills training, or at least joining an owner-trained email list to get more information of the amount of work involved. If you are planning on getting a dog to train yourself than be prepared for the massive amount of work going into just basic obedience and be prepared that your new dog might not have what it takes. There is often a 50% failure rate in organizations for either health reasons or temperament, so don't take that as an offense against your skills.