Help Controlling Dogs on Leash

traxxie

Hi,

I have two female labbies (5yo) that I walk 5x a week. From the beginning, I was told that they were difficult to control on walks.

I've been working with them for more than a month. I use a Gentle Leader head collar to keep them from pulling.

I play ball/Chuckit with them for about 10 minutes before I walk them to take the edge off a bit, and I walk them up hilly streets.

They are very much improved, unless another dog gets too close. If the dog is across the street, then I put them on a sit and then we keep walking.

A couple of times a dog has passed by on the same side of the street before I could get them across.

Them pulling together has just about pulled me down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Traxxie

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
How can a dog pull you if he is wearing a gentle leader? I have one of these to rollerblade with my dog and she isn't really able to pull me.

sarhaspups

Skating with dog

Speaking of this, Jean. Wait until you see video of me skating with Ace this summer. I hope my butt doesn't get as sore as last year when I was doing it with Zoe. I think I will try the head halter this year, never thought of using one of those before. I don't like them for walking but to have a bit more control over 'reactions' the dog might have along the way while skating is a good idea, might keep my butt off the pavement a little more. LOL. :dogcool: I hope you have better skating experience then I do. :dogwub: Do you have video of you skating with your dogs? Do you get brave enough to take them both together? :dogwink:
Can't wait for warm weather in Colorado!! :dogblink:

Sarha

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since I have rollerbladed with my dogs, when I did it, it was with my husky. She would pull with a leash so a gentle leader was the only solution. It worked pretty well since she wasn't able to pull me away.

But if you are going to try it, make sure that you hold the leash properly (So that you can release it), is an article with pictures of how I believe is the most optimal way to hold a leash.

sarhaspups

Great! Thanks for the advise. I've never seen a leash held that way, I usually just hold it at by the loop but that way looks very comfortable and safe. Thanks!

Sarha

montsterdog

I will have to try that. Rollerblading with dogs sounds like fun. :dogcool:

Traxxie- You could also try no-pull harnesses with your dogs.

storm22

Experienced Member
i used to roller blade with my other dogs but not with storm, but i bike ride he would pull me along so i got a sled dog harness (i decided if he wanted to pull on the bike atleast he would be comfortable) i taught him the basics first, left, right, halt, go, pull but with the harness on he stopped pulling haha i have since found out he dont like harnesses and he wont pull he feels uncomfortable with any harness on even one that fits perfectly like his sled harness strange aye, but know im training him to like the harness and he can pull

l_l_a

I would suggest more attention-training so that if you don't have time to cross the street before another dog comes by, you can at least stay on your side of the street but have your dogs focus on you instead of watching the passing dog (which usually will lead to getting excited and then lead to pulling). for example, maybe carry really really good treats with you (like roast beef or hamburger or liver) but ONLY use them for this situation.

It would further help to do some practice-runs of this situation ahead of time before you encounter it in real life. For example even if no dog passes your side of the street today, maybe you can walk the two labs over to a park where there are other dogs so you can practice having them focus on you when they see other dogs but at least this way you are prepared and can determine how far you are away from the other dogs so that your training can be successful. then when the real-life situation inevitably hits, the two labs would already have had some practice under their belt and be more likely to respond as you want.

it would also make the practice sessions progress faster if you work one dog at a time first, before having them both together.

Sarhaspups: I'm in CO too! Boulder. typical unpredictable spring weather - yesterday all warm, this afternoon snow/rain, now again it's sunny.

sarhaspups

l_l_a;8040 said:
Sarhaspups: I'm in CO too! Boulder. typical unpredictable spring weather - yesterday all warm, this afternoon snow/rain, now again it's sunny.
COOL! Yes, I hate this unpredictable weather, I'm ready for warm weather. Me and the dogs have cabin fever this week!! :( I come towards your way in the summer for some hiking, I love to go hiking and do it all summer long and go anywhere and every where I can! :dognowink:

traxxie

l l a, thanks for the advice. I'm stoked because, in general, the dog's are really responding. Finally, finally, I am walking them both on a loose leash with the Gentle Leader. I think the behavioral change should have been faster, but I'm *not* to walk them separately. And they definitely play off each other and amp each other up.

So my next step is to find someone to do some "practice runs" with another dog and get them to stay focused on me as we walk past.

One other question: Is the GL collar a training collar? Do I get them to stop pulling and eventually go back to a regular collar? Or just keep using the GL?

TIA.