Help! cannot keep dog standing

itak

I need to find a way (via command or just delivering a certain consensus) that she has to remain standing during training unless I say otherwise because certain tricks like spin and turn around are hard for us to practice since she insists on sitting down every time sometimes even in the middle of the turn around.

What should I do?

thanks a lot!

lexio2

have you trained "stand"? that would probably be where i start, and then work on standing stays. Qwill has a solid 3 minute stand-stay, but it's taken us 3 months to get that far...

i believe there is a video in the classroom that teaches stand. If not, i taught it by lureing. start with the dog in a sit and hold a treat at nose level. move your hand forward and slightly upwards, sort of in an arc (the slight arc will help him to actually stand and not scoot forward - not everyone does that) Once standing click treat. I worked on stand-stay at the same time i was teaching him stand, telling him stay counting to 4-5 seconds, click treat and release with "ok' and walking forward.

Walking out of a stand stay is important so they don't ever assume that when they're done standing they can sit, otherwise they obviously prefer to sit! hope that makes since, i can try to clarify if not.

itak

It makes perfect sense and I thank you for the response, didn't cross my mind to teach the stand command (it just seemed natural for dogs to stand when the trainers need them to in the videos that I never wondered how they got them to do that until now). Will do, I'll start today.

Thanks a lot!