Hello

tanharold

Unfortunately he only knows 1 trick and Im trying to teach him new tricks thats why I joined this site. Please guide me and thank you.

tanharold

His name is Taco, I got him when I was 12 so I wasnt responsible enough to teach and just always been his companion. He is currently 2 yrs old and now that I know better Ive been trying to teach but it was so hard.

tanharold

He can sit. For now, I want my cocker to learn to behave because whenever I release him from his cage he would run around wIldly. I cant find a way to make him just act normal. I walk him everyday and make sure he gets to play. Any suggestion will do. Thanks

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA! First of all it sounds like your dog isint getting enough exercise. Also your dog may not be behaving because your not using a reward toy, treats or praise. Do you use a clicker? It is a small object that when pressed makes a noise and your dog learns that when you click it, they did something good!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!!

dogs can run around and act pretty excited, sounds like a "normal" dog to me so far!!:ROFLMAO:

Why does your dog stay in a cage?
and which tricks would you like to teach, whatever trick you want to teach, probably someone here knows how to help you! AND GOOD ON YOU FOR TEACHING YOUR DOG TRICKS!! Hang in there, tricks training gets easier, both for you, and for the dog, in pretty short period of time.

Mostly, with tricks, you just reward the correct moves (or attempts in the correct direction)
and simply silently ignore wrong moves.
For rewards, most of us use tiny treats (not big ones, or your dog might get full or fat)
but some ppl use toy play, or tennis balls, etc. for the rewards.

Keep beginner lessons kind of short, for beginner dogs, like 5 minutes to 10 minutes is plenty long for beginner dogs. You always want to stop the lesson before your dog zones out.
Overtime, your dog can develop a longer att'n span. All dogs are unique in their own ways.
Later that same day, you can repeat the quickie lesson again, if you want to, but, a bunch of short lessons is better for some dogs,
than one big long lesson.
IT'S FUN, too!

I bet, i bet, that soon enough, you will be blown away by how good you are tricks training,
and blown away by how good your dog is at doing tricks!! BET IS ON!!!:ROFLMAO:

tanharold

Welcome to DTA! First of all it sounds like your dog isint getting enough exercise. Also your dog may not be behaving because your not using a reward toy, treats or praise. Do you use a clicker? It is a small object that when pressed makes a noise and your dog learns that when you click it, they did something good!
Thank you for the advice! Should I exercise him everyday? Sorry for the noob question. Thank u

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yes, you should take your dog on at least two walks a day. The walk should be an hour if you can't do that than at least 30min NO less than that. An dog who has plenty of exercise is less likely to be destructive. If you only have time for 30min. and your dog isn't tired by the end of the walk play a game of fetch before the walk. Everyday your dog needs at least 2 walks 1 play session(more if she is really active). Also trick training is a great way to keep your dog from being destructive. Cockers are intelligent dogs and need to use that intelligence and trick training is a great way to do this. I would also suggest you do lots of research on Cocker Spaniels, you should become a wiz on Cocker Spaniels. If you have any questions please ask. We will gladly tell you how to teach any trick you want just let us know and it should be simple(down, roll over, shake, high five.) Look on the trick sections of the forum.