Hello there =)

munecadoll223

I am completely new to all of this. The positive training methods, the forums, talking to other trainers...that sounds cool and scary at the same time. I never liked that old method that most people used, but I never really bothered searching for a better one until about 2 years ago. I'm glad I found out about positive training and clicker training! :dogbiggrin: The only thing is, I still don't understand how to "train" exactly. I get confused because my mind has been set on the old method for so long. My parents think I care more about animals than humans and think that I shouldn't get in other people's business when I see animal cruelty. :dogsad: I highly disagree. I don't support, bullying, child abuse, or any of that in any way. Either way, I'm in a rut. I hope this site helps me defend what's right for Earth's creatures. :doghappy:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Do what you think is right, follow your gut feeling, and lead by example. Positive training is easy, you simply reward the good behaviors! Do you have a dog? Try shaping behaviors with a clicker. If you don't know what it is, it's simply rewarding the dog for a partial behavior instead of waiting for the final behavior.

Example, if you want the dog to go lie on a carpet, you'd first click & reward the dog for looking at the carpet. Then step it up a notch and only reward him when he steps in the general direction of the carpet. You do this over and over until he steps on the carpet, have all four paws on the carpet, sniffs the carpet, sits on the carpet, sniffs the carpet sitting down, and a big jackpot when he lies down.

Finally, you can link a command to the behavior once he's learned it. Simply say it as he's going to lie down on the carpet ("Go Carpet" is what I use).

Keep rewarding until he learned the cue.

Then you can wean off the treats by randomly rewarding with praise / toys / treats. And eventually only giving a treat once in a while, keeping him interested. :dogsmile:

mewzard

Experienced Member
Welcome!

I've only been on this site a few days so i'm a newbie too! clicker training is so much fun...it's great to watch you puppy/dog learn things.

Jean explained it really well. I'm not sure how much you know but you also need to "teach" the dog that the 'click' = 'good', you 'load' the clicker. It's easy, just click the clicker and then treat the dog...doesn't matter what the dog is doing. Click - give treat, click - give treat repeat it a few times, then try clicking when the dog moves away - if he looks back to you, you know he is aware that the click means good things!

Tasha

munecadoll223

I do know a lot about clicker training. I just get confused. I mean, sometimes I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I get stuck. :dogunsure: Plus, my perfectionist persona tends to kick in and then I just get frustrated. (Not with the dog though). Then I feel bad. I need to stop being so hard on myself...

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
No worries. We all try to be perfect at times, but in this world ... nothing is. Just do what you think is right and have fun with it. :dogsmile: