Hello There! I'm New.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hi there! I am new here. I own a 10 month old Border Collie named Missy. I have had her since she was 4 months old. That's her in my avatar. She loves to do tricks and that's why I'm here.

One of the only problems I have with her is at meal times...

She ate her adult dog food (Canidae I), which I figured she loved, seeing as she ate it this morning with no problems, but tonight she didn't touch it. I switched her from Wellness Just for Puppy, which she didn't seem to like without something on it to entice her. I got frustrated tonight when she wouldn't touch the new food... (oops! :oops:) I plan to not get frustrated again and hopefully things will go better. ;) *fingers crossed* I soak her food in her bowl to make it more palatable for her.

I do plan to try the 20 mins. rule twice a day for feeding her from now on and see what happens... if that doesn't work I'm going to have to maybe switch her food over to something else again? We'll see.

Got any tips without having to entice her? What do you do for your dogs?

All help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading my post. :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I think I may have resolved (hopefully!) Missy's eating issue... here goes!

I am dog-sitting two Shelties right now. Well, they were close to Missy's food bowl and she decided she didn't want them to eat her dinner, so I hand fed her one piece and put another piece of food close to her nose (she was lying down), and then got her to stand up and put three more dry pieces on the floor by her dish and she ate those. Then she decided (with the Shelties close by), to stick her nose in her dish and eat all the food up! :D Please note: this was all dry food.

Yay! Maybe the Shelties will teach her to eat when I put the food down. What do you think? I'm just glad she ate her dinner! ;) She ate the wet food from last night's dinner this morning with Multi-Grain Cheerios on her food. Otherwise I don't think she would have touched it, and I didn't want to have to throw it out.

Now I'm going to to stick to dry food and see if she likes that better. She seems too. :) No frustration here!!!! (y)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks for the welcome, southerngirl! Your Missy is really cute too! I used to come here quite often as a guest and loved the layout and the different tricks to teach my Missy. I could never think of any tricks off the top of my head so I searched on Google to see if there was any site that was specifically for teaching tricks, found this site, and have loved it ever since!

southerngirl

Honored Member
I've always searched for tricks to I've never been creative enough to come up with my own so I really love this site, it's very helpful.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Do you know what other breed your Missy is crossed with? I'm guessing Black Lab. Am I right? I love the smile on her face. :D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Aww. I'm glad you took her in. :) I love rescue dogs. I didn't rescue Missy, but I did look at our local SPCA first before deciding to get her.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yeah I'm glad I keep her I already had a dog and a couple other animals at the time but I just had to keep her. So how old is your Missy?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Instead of "Mystery" as her full name I have officially decided on "Little Miss Sunshine" as it seems to suit her better. :) "Little" because she's just that (44 lbs). "Miss" because she's a girl. ...and "Sunshine" because she puts a smile on my face every morning. Just to sum up why I changed it. ;) Hope nobody minds!

Thanks for the welcome jackienmutts! I really love this site. :cool:

Jukes

Hi and welcome to the forums:)
I'm glad you've sorted out the food problem - it's amazing what a bit of competition can do!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Thanks for the welcome, Jukes. Welcome to the site to you as well. Is that your puppy in your picture? She's cute.

Have fun with her.

Jukes

haha - thanks MissyBC

The puppy in the picture is actually 1 and a half and is in fact a boy. Still I recently got another puppy - a 7 month old border collie mix - two cuties in my humble opinion:p

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I'm sure your new pup is adorable. Going to go look up your post on finding a name for her.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Thanks for the welcome, southerngirl! Your Missy is really cute too! I used to come here quite often as a guest and loved the layout and the different tricks to teach my Missy. I could never think of any tricks off the top of my head so I searched on Google to see if there was any site that was specifically for teaching tricks, found this site, and have loved it ever since!
It seems many people find this site when they are looking for ways to teach tricks to their dogs. Some join and stay for the conversations and encouragement, maybe because they are missing that from the people who are in their "real" lives. Others join and just "lurk", never posting, commenting or liking, just reading. I'm glad you found the site and are an active member. The more the merrier!