Hello,my Name Is Karlee :)

karleee

Experienced Member
Hi!

My name is karlee reeve and i live in manjimup,Western Australia.
I own a beagle named layla(Tan& white).She is a wonderdog and knows a tone of cool tricks.
We go and do trick demos/shows in the south west area of W.A.

I'm twelve years old,and yes....i did train my dog all by myself.People seem amazed when i tell them im 12 and i train a purebred beagle (Who lives on a farm......LOTS of smells to destract a beagle there!) But all it really takes is to overpower the dogs sence of smell with a couple of yummy food treats.As for training tactics,a kiknd heart,a great understanding of dog behaviour and LOTS of patiance.Theirs nothing to it really :)

I have a ton of other animals too!
I have a horse named temecula spudwalker,12 guini pigs,An avairy full of weeros,a budgie who never stops talking and a couple gold fish :)

So,i hope this helped to get you to know me,and i'll see you around :D

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Karlee! Welcome to the Dog Trick Academy! :)

That is very impressive that you can already train your dog at such a young age, when I was your age I was struggling with just walking my dog. Let us know if you need any help or ideas with training tricks! ;)

sara

Staff member
You are going to be a phenominal trainer! I was 7 when I got my first dog, who was my best friend. I taught her obedience and tricks too, and that poor dog did whatever I wanted her to do... she was my pretend horse, my soccar goalkeeper, my skating partner, my playground equipment buddy (she'd even climb the chain ladders!) and my biking/rollerblading partner... I had no idea what clicker training was then, I really wish I had, as Patchie would have excelled with more positive training!

mewzard

Experienced Member
Hi!!
Thats so cool, i never had a dog as a child but seeing my 2 kids with our puppy-dog makes me wish i did.

Layla is gorgeous and must be a very smart dog! How old is she?
I'm in the UK - what are Weeros?

(i'd like to suggest that you edit your post and remove your surname - it's not good for your safety ;))

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Welcome to the forum! I am looking forward to hearing more about your dog and your training and I hope to see some videos!

charmedwolf

Staff member
Welcome! Glad that you got the training bug early! I was 13 when I started training my dogs. It becomes really addicting after a while :p

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Hi!

My name is karlee reeve and i live in manjimup,Western Australia.
I own a beagle named layla(Tan& white).She is a wonderdog and knows a tone of cool tricks.
We go and do trick demos/shows in the south west area of W.A.

I'm twelve years old,and yes....i did train my dog all by myself.People seem amazed when i tell them im 12 and i train a purebred beagle (Who lives on a farm......LOTS of smells to destract a beagle there!) But all it really takes is to overpower the dogs sence of smell with a couple of yummy food treats.As for training tactics,a kiknd heart,a great understanding of dog behaviour and LOTS of patiance.Theirs nothing to it really :)

I have a ton of other animals too!
I have a horse named temecula spudwalker,12 guini pigs,An avairy full of weeros,a budgie who never stops talking and a couple gold fish :)

So,i hope this helped to get you to know me,and i'll see you around :D
This is very impressive, Karlee! I have a twelve year old daughter who I am encouraging to work with our dog. She thinks she is too young, but I keep telling her about girls like you and Kassidy and Dogster, who have done amazing things with their dogs. Her main problem, I think, is asking for too many behaviors before giving treats, then she only gives one! Brody loses interest quickly when the job doesn't pay well!

southerngirl

Honored Member
This is very impressive, Karlee! I have a twelve year old daughter who I am encouraging to work with our dog. She thinks she is too young, but I keep telling her about girls like you and Kassidy and Dogster, who have done amazing things with their dogs. Her main problem, I think, is asking for too many behaviors before giving treats, then she only gives one! Brody loses interest quickly when the job doesn't pay well!
She's not to young I got Missy when I was 12 and took care of her by myself, no help from my parents. Maybe get her to look on DTA. Maybe show her some YouTube videos about how to train a trick.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
She's not to young I got Missy when I was 12 and took care of her by myself, no help from my parents. Maybe get her to look on DTA. Maybe show her some YouTube videos about how to train a trick.
Yes, I have done those things. And I try to involve her when I am training Brody. She is actually the reason we got Brody, as she really loves dogs, and our old one had died. But Brody needed more work than just basic obedience, so I had to take control of him, then it got so I was the only one he would listen to at all for a while. He will work with my other kids more than her, though, because she feels silly trying to get him excited by using her voice and body language. Maybe when she is older and less self-conscious about those things she will be better. You know kids!