Hello, Just Registered, Getting New Puppy Tomorrow!

Karin

So, I'm sure I'll be on here a lot with questions! Our dog of 12 years passed away this summer with cancer, so this is the first new puppy I've had in a long time.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Welcome! Awe I'm sorry for your loss. My friend's dog passed away from cancer 2 weeks ago. She was 12 too.
What type of puppy are you getting?

Karin

We're getting an akita/lab mix from the Humane society. She is about 10 weeks old, spayed, etc. Just spent the morning getting her space ready. No name yet -- my daughter gets the privilege of naming and hasn't chosen yet. Pictures - yes! Will post.

laramie

Experienced Member
Welcome and congratulations on your puppy! I hope she doesn't howl for the first night, for the sanity of you and your family.;) I bet she's gorgeous. Good luck!

Karin

Morning One: Happy to report that we named her Jackie, she slept through the night (about 6 hours) in her crate, and went outside to go potty immediately - no accidents! Then, one hour later, as making breakfast, she had an accident because I wasn't watching. Clearly, an every-hour potty schedule is required. But excellent first night! Fingers crossed that it wasn't a fluke!

Karin

We got her from the humane society, and all she's ever known is a crate. At 8 weeks, they never took her outside because she hasn't had all her shots. She loves the outside.

Amateur

Experienced Member
Word of advice ... at her age I think more potty breaks are needed.
even if she can wait one hour you want to avoid as many accidents as possible so she is alway peeing outside

Any research I did on scheduling puppy pees said you shouldn't wait for a signal because there may not be one or if there is it will be too late ...
Basically
they wake up - take them out to pee, they play - take them out for pee, they eat - take them out to pee,
they look at you funny - take them out to pee, they breathe - take them out to pee.

At least for the first little while till you fall into a schedule you will see where you can adapt it or make the intervals a bit longer.

Have fun !