Hello from Yuma, Az!!!

stacypress

Hello to everyone =] I am stacy and my husband and I have two dogs. Our oldest son is Stanley, he is a 2 1/2 year old pug with tons of personality and AMAZINGLY stubborn. The newest addition to our family is Diego, he is a three month old puppy we rescued from the humane society. We aren't sure what breed he is. He is mostly black (just a few white hairs on his chest right now), he looks like a lab in the face and looks to have a lab tail, has floppy ears and a really fluffy coat kinda like a chows. He is VERY lovey BUT kind of timid. My husband, as much as i love this man, doesn't understand how to deal with a timid dog, and Diego only makes the second dog i have ever owned, so I am not entirely sure. I do know that the way my husband approaches him only makes him more timid. :dogohmy: So i come to this website in search for answers. I hope to train Diego better than stanley in obedience. Pugs are stubborn by nature, and I had NO IDEA what i was doing when I first got stanley. He begs (which i ignore, but him having no manners is frustrating the rest of the world), he also ignores us if he wants to and is only 100% attentive when food is involved. About 8months ago i contacted bark busters and had them come to my home to give me a lesson on how to deal with stanley better. Their method works, but maybe not 100%. I would love TWO well behaved dogs because I would LOVE to become a therapy dog team with my mutts =] Any help is welcome!!! Does anyone else out there have a pug like stan?? Were you able to break him/her of their stubborness?? it may be too late for stan, but my hopes for diego are high!
Slightly confused,
stacy =]

snooks

Experienced Member
Suggested reading by experts in shy dog behavior

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons
Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt
Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown also has a DVD version
Cautious Canine by Patricia McDonnell
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas also has a DVD version
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor

Tell ur hubby that patience and time and calm are what this dog needs. Do some reading and figure out how you want to do a team approach. Good luck. :dogsmile: