hello from mass

sheba

my 1 year border collie is verry good at playing ball and frisby her name is lucy and I think she is the smartest dog because she can sniff out any ball whether it is under ground or in a bush any where :dogtongue2::dogblush:

yoyopoodle

Hey there,

Welcome to the DTA :)

I'm from Mass too - in the western part of the state. You can click the banner in my signature to visit my website...

beck_a_roo_552

This is the funniest thing -- I have adopted a border collie (little over a month ago) that doesn't seem to know how to play! He's an adult, and seems never to have played ball or frisbee, seems to not even recognize what they are or are for.

Years ago, I used frisbee as exercise and fun for me and my border collie, but I started her with it as a pup.

Do folks think Skip would be interested to learn about balls and frisbees? He is very smart (of course) and eager to please.

My goals are basically to work with him on the general training he knows, and perhaps some tricks, too, to challenge his mind, as he gets bored with practicing what he knows.

dat123

Experienced Member
beck_a_roo_552;9748 said:
This is the funniest thing -- I have adopted a border collie (little over a month ago) that doesn't seem to know how to play! He's an adult, and seems never to have played ball or frisbee, seems to not even recognize what they are or are for.

Years ago, I used frisbee as exercise and fun for me and my border collie, but I started her with it as a pup.

Do folks think Skip would be interested to learn about balls and frisbees? He is very smart (of course) and eager to please.

My goals are basically to work with him on the general training he knows, and perhaps some tricks, too, to challenge his mind, as he gets bored with practicing what he knows.
I had a similiar problem with my border collie, she was adopted by us at 6 1/2 years old, and wasen't interested in frisbee, even though our other border was obsessed with it.
I took her out alone to the park, just her and me , no other people or dogs , and threw short throws to her ,near her face.
I made a big fuss ( lots of priase ) if she came close to catching it. Several sessions later that week, she was obsessed as the other dog. She has competed in frisbee competitions and has her title. She's now 10 and still obsessed with frisbee.

stormi

Hi sheba and Lucy. I have a BC too; she also loves tennis balls! Hope you ejoy it here at the academy.

beck a roo, we have a rescue BC we adopted when she was about 5. She's never fully understood the concept of playing with a toy (she's 16 now!), but I think what happened before we got her has a lot of influence on that (she is slightly braindamaged from being kicked/hit, and this seems to have affected her being able to learn new skills). She will follow the other dogs and chase and herd them and the toy, but she doesnt pick the toy up. Even alone she will just try to herd the toy and drop behind it, etc. She still has a great deal of fun playing that way, and it's still a really good way to exercise her. I think generally if you make the toys interesting you can teach them to play, and once they understand how to play with a toy they really enjoy it :dogsmile: