Hello everyone!

marineangel

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Nargelys, i'm very new at this so i don't know much about this website. My husband recently bought me a German Shepherd puppy and we'll be getting him soon, in about a week or so. :dogtongue2: so i want to learn how to train him good. My husband has a Boxer that's about 1 yr and a couple of months old, when we got him the owner said he was potty trained and he's not!!! we've had him for about 2 months now and have been training him and he still hasn't learned so i don't really know what to do, i really don't like this dog because of his behavior but my husband loves him so :dogdry: nothing much i can do. I'm very happy to be getting my puppy soon!:doghappy: If you want to know more just ask! :dogtongue2:

E

emmasmamma

Welcome! Be sure to check out the puppy discussion section to get some pointers. House breaking is the same for older dogs as it is for puppies. Constant supervision, or crating when unable to watch closely, so if they start to circle, or squat to do their business, you can intervene with firm but kind correction and taking them outside immediately. (Basically "catching them in the act") An often overlooked problem is not getting the odor completely out of the carpet or furniture after an accident. Look for an enzyme based odor neutralizer. A good name brand is "Nature's Miracle". Dog's can smell a drop of urine in a gallon of water and if the odor isn't completely removed it is a signal to the dog that it is ok to pee here. Many behavioral issues can be resolved by making sure the dog gets enough exercise. As the saying goes, "A tired dog is a happy owner!"

heidib860

Marineangel
Welcome, emmasmamma basically said everything that I would of suggested. I recently got Max a Golden Retriever who's going on 4 months old. I can't stress enough that constant supervision is needed. You'll end up feeling like your life consists of only your dog's elimination schedule, it does but it's worth it. Don't loose hope...they'll get it.

What worked with Max is crating and also I would put him on his leash and keep him with me where ever I was in the house. Expect accidents happening in the begining but be ready for them. I had alot of papertowels and my cleaning supplies at the ready and would clean up the mess while the dog was outside. Make sure to get the odor out like Emmasmamma said. They'll only go right back to it if you don't.

You've found a great site with alot of wonderful people who have a ton of knowlege and are willing to share it. Enjoy and don't forget to check out the classroom it has great tips on training and it's really easy to understand, step by step.

Look forward to seeing you around the boards.

marineangel

Thank you so much for replying to my post! We've been trying a lot of different things with our Boxer "Niko", he's always in the room with us and if we go out we put him in a crate but sometimes we take him out right before leaving the house and he goes but when we come back 2 or 3 hours later he has gone inside the crate, i just don't understand why it has taken him such a long time, last night we took him out before going to sleep 10mins later he was peeing inside our room on the carpet, thankfully i was asleep otherwise i would have killed him! haha just kidding, i would have lost my mind though. I am trying to be very patient but the he's driving me nuts! i will make sure to check out the other posts! Thanks for your help!