Heelwork basics

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Can anyone explain me how to teach a dog to do heelwork (on both sides [of course I would teach it separately, and on different commands])?:msniwonder:
You know, when the dog is walking by your feet, but without a leash.
:msngrin:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Just to be clear:

Do you mean walking to heel as in to competitive obedience standard walking to heel, or do you mean a more liberal walking on a loose leash by the side of the handler. They are very different and will require different explanations.

Cavalier

If your dog is tall enough, I've heard of using a long spoon (like a wooden cookie mixing spoon) with peanut butter on it to keep him in the heel zone. but I have not tried it yet, my dog is too short

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think the easiest way to teach heeling, in the beginning stages at least, is to walk and give your dog treats when he is in perfect position. You'd use your left hand to feed just in front of his head so that he is still looking forward and straight.

Eventually you can give him a treat when he walks longer periods of time on your side, and through distractions. But telling you details now for advanced heeling would only confuse you. :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I started to teach her healing with clicker, like in one of your lessons. I just can't really start moving yet...

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I don't think I teach heeling in any of my lessons. :) Maybe you are referring to the Get In lesson?

The point I was trying to make is that you can walk, place a treat in your left hand and beside your body. When you dog walks in beside you in the heeling position you can release the treat. So he only gets the treat when he is in the correct position, your dog will pick up on it and will want to be in that position since it earns him treats.

Try to practice in your backyard or a park, somewhere you can walk in big circles.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Thanks!
I think it's really the Get in lesson.
I'll try it as soon as I can, but it's raining here in Hungary, and my dog hates rain, so she won't come out of our flat...

bipa

I first started to train heeling in my hallway, where it was quiet and there were no distractions. For the very first lesson, I filled up my treat pouch, put my pup on the leash, and had him sit beside me on my left side. Then with treat in my left hand and leash in my right, I took ONE step forward. Pup obviously followed his nose. I gave him the treat, grabbed another one, then took ONE more step forward. And puppy followed the treat again.

Gradually you build up to TWO steps before treating, then THREE.... Soon you're running out of hallway because you're only treating every 10 steps and having your dog sit between times. When the weather finally gets better, you can go outside with the first basics already learned. And if it keeps on raining, then you can start practicing those all-important U-turns.

Cheers!

szecsuani

Experienced Member
IT WORKS!!!
Well, we are doing it really slowly, and I give her a treat after 2 steps now, but she understands what I want, and I'm so d*mn proud!:msnblushing:
Thank you everybody!!!!:doglaugh: