Head Cock Trick?

Dlilly

Honored Member
Does anyone know how to teach the head cock trick? (Where you dog turns their head to the side.) It's so cute! I'd love to teach it to Shiloh or Chance.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Here is thread on head-TURN trick, where dog poses with his head to the side:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/trick-challenge-show-us-your-good-side-trick-super-easy.4196/

but that is NOT what you asked for.

I had tried this "head-cocking" trick in the past, holding a squeak toy behind my back,
squeaking the toy, and of course, my dog cocked his head at the odd noise,
CLICK/TREAT,
but my dog never did get it, so maybe this is NOT how to teach it........

or maybe i gave up too fast and moved on, but it's been a year,:ROFLMAO: i guess it'd time to try it again, right?

I was using the cue word "money" for the trick, and then my dog would cock his head to any question that ended with "money", like, "Buddy, do you want money?"
or "Buddy, who is going ot pay? Do you have any money?"
and so on. (for questions, only use the LAST word, or else dog turns their head too fast, before you have finished the question)

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Dog tilt their heads often to help distinguish a sound better or listen harder to get more information. Some breeds are more inclined for this behavior than others.

http://www.k9magazine.com/why-do-dogs-tilt-their-heads/

High pitched sounds generally will trigger it and with some breeds just talking outside your normal tone will do it. Some dogs react to a whispering Pssspssspsss sound. Be sure to start in a very little to no distraction area and use a soft a voice as possible.

Most dogs will tilt their head when hearing an ultrasonic sound. We have a little remote at work that puts out a frequency similar to a dog whistle that gets most dogs attention. If you have a smart phone - there are numerous apps that replicate this you could try - put the phone on the table playing the sound and C/T the resulting tilt. You can then add the cue of your choice.

Some dogs will also react this way to a normal high pitched sound so you could try various sounds to download on the computer as often when they can see it isn't you making the noise it will trigger it. Some dogs react to animal shows on TV so possible play a bit of Animal Planet - especially any mating show with large wildlife - weird but true...

Let us know how it goes!